IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

vorezky04

Norazmi, i want ask to you. How to increase frequency of IR2153?
which a value of component to change?
If first F=70 khz to 100Khz?
Please help me.

stewin

In order to make some of you happy, here’s the schematic of my 1kw smps.
This is the same based combination of IR2110 and SG3525 but, has lots improvements like a linear short circuit protection, better response of output transients, high output peak current and voltage regulated. Specially designed for audio applications.
Enjoy!

hi bettecher you have drawn schema with error i have circled below

Attachments

• smps correction 1.jpg
    smps correction 1.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 851
  • smps correction 1.pdf
    373.7 KB · Views: 927

Bettecher

hi bettecher you have drawn schema with error i have circled below

Really appreciated and sorry for the mistake!
Please, find here the corrected schematic.

Marcos Bettecher

Attachments

• Bettecher_1Kw_Smps correction.pdf
    396.6 KB · Views: 1,486

Abet

Hi! bettecher,

Any plans on sharing your PCB for DIY? Have you replaced the other version with the relay? Though I have not constructed an SMPS, I thought the use of an added relay on board adds up to better protection of the whole circuit.

Regards!

Bettecher

Hi! bettecher,

Any plans on sharing your PCB for DIY? Have you replaced the other version with the relay? Though I have not constructed an SMPS, I thought the use of an added relay on board adds up to better protection of the whole circuit.

Regards!

Abet,

The pcb is not updated. I made lots of changes on the circuit but I didn’t have time to make the corrections. I don’t want to share a corrupted pcb here.
My schematic doesn’t need a relay because already has a soft start and short circuit protection. The diagram is working fine and you can build if you want.
The circuit is based on the ICs SG3525 and IR2110. You can find all info about on this forum also a good pcb. Choose one and make the little changes.

Regards.

Marcos Bettecher

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Thanks Bettecher, i`m better now :D . guys if you build this smps at page 1, you can have at least 600 wrms, i already mention about getting more power from this smps, need some adjustment with component and good aux supply for ir2153.

Bettecher

Norazmi, i want ask to you. How to increase frequency of IR2153?
which a value of component to change?
If first F=70 khz to 100Khz?
Please help me.

vorezky04,

Is very ease to change the IR2153 frequency.
You can use the formula here:

F = 1 / (1.4 * (R + 75) * C)

Where:

C = C * 10 ^ -9 ( nF )
R = R * 10 ^ 3 ( K ohms )
F= F * 10 ^ -3; ( Khz )

For exemple, 100Khz:

C = 1nF
R = 6,8 K

F = 103,8961 Khz

For 80Khz:

C = 1nF
R = 8,85 K

F = 80,032 Khz

Regards

Marcos Bettecher

Bettecher

hi bettecher pls post a schema with a soft start relay included

Ok Stewin,

Please add a little modification at the original circuit.

Hope it helps you!

Marcos Bettecher

Attachments

• Soft Start_Circ.jpg
    Soft Start_Circ.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:

stewin

here is my schema for ir2110 it is a copy of bettecher . now to the pcb:D:D:D ..

is my no of turns for the former o.k.?

Attachments

• smps half bridge 740 schematic b w.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 866
  • smps half bridge 740 schematic.pdf
    38.3 KB · Views: 804
  • smps half bridge 740 schematic.JPG
    smps half bridge 740 schematic.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

Bettecher

Stewin, nice work!

Notes:

Your schematic is missing the output filter coils.
In my case I used a 2 x 22 uH. Don’t forget!
You can use a EI33 from an old PC smps. Should have a 0,1 mm gap. ( pieces of paper sheet).

TR1 should be 1:50 turns on iron powder core. (Small green core from a old computer board).

The Vaux. winding should be in the right phase otherwise Q1 will get hot really fast.
(Just invert the wires on the circuit if Q1 is get hot)

You can not extract 1Kw from the IRF740 maybe 700 W in a better case!
Better if you use the IRF460LC.

Give me a little time to recalculate the right number of turns for your ETD44.

Regards

Marcos Bettecher

Last edited:

stewin

thanks again . i use irf 740 because i wanted a small smps, but i will add irfp460lc for the larger version. is it a must to use output filter coil ? because in LabGruppen-FP3400 pwr amp user manual, they use none except 2.2ohms resistor and a 4.7nf on the two rectifying diodes used . i have used the same and i had no problem.

The protect small former i have used one from an old ups.As i see it is a small EE core and has 3turns on primary side and many turns the sec side will it work or i need to coil the 50:1 iron powder core?

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Stewin, if u build regulated smps with feedback, u need the output filter coil will increase the efficiency. and use ferrite to minimize noise. 2.2 ohm resistor and 4.7nf is bootstrap cap u can use 22ohm and 1nf for bootsrap cap.

For protection better use iron powder with 50:1 turn ratio, its depends on core size how many turn u need. each smps design have different protection scheme.

Bettecher

Stewin,

The 2.2ohms resistor and a 4.7nf on the two rectifying diodes are used as snubber.
When a smps is working in pwm mode (controlling the voltage output) yes, it must have the filters! But, if works without control ( 50% duty cycle) you don’t need it.

The only problem about the current transform is the resonance.
Since you’re working in a high frequency, a good sense is to reduce the max is possible the primary inductance. (less turns). Remember it should works like a current sense shunt resistor. (less inductance is better)

Regards

Marcos Bettecher