4kw smps

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Here is my 4000W switching power supply for audio amplifiers...

Its just the begining, more results coming..

Attachments

• DSC00512.jpg
    DSC00512.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,108
  • DSC00540.jpg
    DSC00540.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,234
  • DSC00585.jpg
    DSC00585.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,969
  • DSC00573.jpg
    DSC00573.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,269
  • DSC00564.jpg
    DSC00564.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,847
I

iese

Hey, it seems to be really nice ! Can you tell us a bit more about this one ? What controller chip do you use ? Which topology ? So many questions... That's just because I'd like to build one too ! The converters I draw, test and build for my job are a bit too big... DSP controlled and the smallest is about 30kW...

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
ThankS!

Hey, it seems to be really nice ! Can you tell us a bit more about this one ? What controller chip do you use ? Which topology ? So many questions... That's just because I'd like to build one too ! The converters I draw, test and build for my job are a bit too big... DSP controlled and the smallest is about 30kW...

Hello

I use SG3525 Chip, Half Bridge topology. Qaisi Resonant SMPS 4000W, EE65 Core. Running @125KHZ

However, This SMPS is still under development, I am waiting some parts to make it fully working.

Can you tel me more about your 30KW SMPS!!!

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00635.jpg
    DSC00635.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 945
I

iese

Hello !

Ok, I see, this a big classical circuit to build SMPS with ! But anyway it's working good ! Half Bridge topology ? I had bad experiences with half bridge topologies... Anyway, if it works, that's great !!! Keep me informed about it please :)

The 30kW converter we built is a step-up/down interleaved bidirectional converter designed to be used in a high performance hybrid racing car, between the 400V DC bus for the drives and a large bank of supercaps ('bout 100 1,8kF/2.5V (yes, KILO !!! :D) in series)... Everything is driven and controlled by TI's DSC TMS320F2808, programmed in C-Language by myself... Hum. Let's say I'm a better electronics engineer than a C-programmer !!! Anyway, the converter works, we posted a paper about it at the IEEE. I've many other nice "little" projects that I build at our research institute, if you wanna talk about it, let's do it in another forum ;-) That's not the topic of this one :D

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
4000W Switch Mode Power Supply, Pictures, Videos, Test Results

Here I show my 4000W Switch mode power supply test results.

This covers the major tests were done, however I don’t have a PFC so all tests you see without PFC installed.

Some voltage drop occur at full power, which I cannot prevent, because my mains drops also, *PFC* is needed.

This SMPS uses EE65 with 4KV primary to secondary isolation, running at 120KHz, Qaisi Resonant SMPS. Using 4 very fast IGBTs for switching.

My main PWM chip is SG3525, With Opto Couplers to drive IGBTs + SMD Transistors.

Every thing gets hot, very hot after running this SMPS at full power, as this is a 4000W SMPS.

In audio amplifiers usage this SMPS won’t run at full power because its music signal, not constant signal.

Multiple output voltages are possible with this design, as i can change it easily.

** Upgrades is to build all circuits, Driver, Protection, Under Over Voltage Protection, Protect Alert. On very small PCBs SMD. *see below*

Comments are more than welcome.

this is the first video, I am uploading the other ones. so please follow up

[video=youtube;bqIBrlUY0c8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqIBrlUY0c8[/video]

Attachments

• DSC00757.jpg
    DSC00757.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 976

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
4000W SMPS Test

And now we start again,

Showing real results, Not like others who claim. Who uses 1mm cable to feed power to there 4kw SMPS

First test of the 4000W SMPS is below, Loaded SMPS with 2800W Pre testing succeeded.

Here you go..

[video=youtube;8XCe8xOSGII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XCe8xOSGII[/video]

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
4000W tet

Here the 4000w Test I have done to my SMPS.

Next project will be LLC 1500W SMPS. LLC 3000W SMPS,

[video=youtube;7DiP6NL8Svc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DiP6NL8Svc[/video]

soundmax

Here the 4000w Test I have done to my SMPS.

Next project will be LLC 1500W SMPS. LLC 3000W SMPS,

Hi MicroSim,
I'm working on a development of a Power Source, Quasi Resonant similiar her, but for 3000W, I wonder if you have any material which assist me in the calculation for this type of transformer power supply.
I will work with Half Bridge.

Hugs,
Cleber

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Transformer Calculations

Hi MicroSim,
I'm working on a development of a Power Source, Quasi Resonant similiar her, but for 3000W, I wonder if you have any material which assist me in the calculation for this type of transformer power supply.
I will work with Half Bridge.

Hugs,
Cleber

OK

You can go here http://www.diysmps.com/forums/showt...rmer-Primary-Turns-Calculations&p=605#post605

That will give you guide lines, but will make you understand things.
Its a very good start.

Formula will calculate for you. :cool:

jory16

Hi MicroSim,

the formulas for calculating the ETD transformer, are the same for Toroids?

What kind of driver do you use to switch the IGBT?

Greetings.

soundmax

OK

You can go here http://www.diysmps.com/forums/showt...rmer-Primary-Turns-Calculations&p=605#post605

That will give you guide lines, but will make you understand things.
Its a very good start.

Formula will calculate for you. :cool:

Thank you my friend
this formula can be applied to switching power supplies QUASI-RESONANT?
here comes another problem, the calculus of inductor and capacitor tank resonance.
these switching power supplies are great but the one big headache.

Thanks for the support,
awaiting a brief return,
Hugs,
Cleber

IGBT

Switching Fanatic!
Resonant formula!

Thank you my friend
this formula can be applied to switching power supplies QUASI-RESONANT?
here comes another problem, the calculus of inductor and capacitor tank resonance.
these switching power supplies are great but the one big headache.

Thanks for the support,
awaiting a brief return,
Hugs,
Cleber

I found this for you, hope it help you out.

Attachments

• Reso_Form.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,458

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Toroidals

Hi MicroSim,

the formulas for calculating the ETD transformer, are the same for Toroids?

What kind of driver do you use to switch the IGBT?

Greetings.

That formula will calculate for ETD series of transformer, I never used it for toroidal cores.

For IGBT Drive, I use Opto Couplers

soundmax

Oh My Friend,Very good,
Thanks.

So in this case, I use the calculation formula of the transformer presented by the MicroSim (using the frequency of 125khz, for example).

and use their formula to set the resonance frequency of the next set to 125Khz, would it? correct?

converter and resonant or not, the only thing that changes is the switching frequency, the calculation for the transformer. remains the same for Half Bridge, am I right?

Hugs,
Cleber

soundmax

My Friend,
I am Have one question,
how can I measure the Leakage inductance of a transformer ready?

Tks,
Hugs For all
Cleber

TBDz

Oh My Friend,Very good,
Thanks.

So in this case, I use the calculation formula of the transformer presented by the MicroSim (using the frequency of 125khz, for example).

and use their formula to set the resonance frequency of the next set to 125Khz, would it? correct?

converter and resonant or not, the only thing that changes is the switching frequency, the calculation for the transformer. remains the same for Half Bridge, am I right?

Hugs,
Cleber

MicroSim's spreadsheet can be used for toroid as well. Simply enter the Ae (effective core area of the toroid, make sure it is in the same unit used for the equation) of the toroid. With that said, you can use the same formula for other cores geometries, as long as you enter the new Ae.

TBDz

Leakage Inductance Measurement:

Use an LCR meter and measure across the primary winding, with all secondaries shorted. Measurement drive level is typically 10kHz, 0.1V.

soundmax

Thanks Tbdz,
you tell me if these common multimeters used to measure Leakage inductance? or would have to be really an LCR Meter?

You know if I can use the formula for the MicroSim quasi-resonant switching power supplies?

Hugs
Cleber

IGBT

Switching Fanatic!
Thanks Tbdz,
you tell me if these common multimeters used to measure Leakage inductance? or would have to be really an LCR Meter?

You know if I can use the formula for the MicroSim quasi-resonant switching power supplies?

Hugs
Cleber

You need an LCR meter in order to mesure Inductance, Normal Multimeters usually dont have the 1~2000uH scale, Either test frequency.

Passive-Component-LCR-Meter-5WYU1_AS01.jpg

soundmax

Thanks My Friend
You know if I can use the MicroSim formula for quasi-resonant switching power supplies?

Hugs
Cleber