Recent content by brady

1. B

First smps

I was planning to build a separate output stage to take care of the current and voltage regulation actually. I may attempt to do a buck stage on the output that is synchronized with the main supply clock. All I am concerned about for the main supply is preventing saturation and/or destroying the...
  2. B

First smps

Thank you for the information. But before I do that I should probably address another slight issue. With the 82 watt load attached, the outputs drop to around 32v each which is the voltage I need at a full load. And this is at max duty cycle as well. So I believe I will need to add a turn or two...
  3. B

First smps

Hello, I've done a load test and want to share some results. Load: 82.03 W (bulb connected to both outputs in series) Input Real Power = 91.8 W Input Apparent Power = 192.7 VA Efficiency = 89.4% Power Factor = 0.48 I also found that it is significantly more stable with a...
  4. B

First smps

Hello, Here is the schematic and pcb layout. I need to mention a couple of things: 1) The auxilliary supply, startup circuit, and current sense circuit are not being used currently. 2) The control circuit is currently built up on a breadboard and interfaces with the header on the top of...
  5. B

First smps

okay, I haven't removed the transformer yet but I did measure the gate of the high side. It goes without saying that it looks horrendous (see picture). So something is causing the high side gate to act funny. Regards, Brady
  6. B

First smps

Hello, I rebuilt the circuit and fortunately the gate drive appears to be working perfectly. I currently am running the circuit from a separate auxilliary supply so it is currently not self-powered. I was able to make some measurements. 1) The rectified output of the auxilliary supply at full...
  7. B

First smps

Hello, I have built up the power section and have been testing and wanted to give an update. After some testing I had a problem with the startup circuit short circuiting. I discovered this had to do with not having a base emitter resistor to bleed off parasitic charge. I also discovered the...
  8. B

First smps

Pleas ignore the PCB file in the previous post, use this file.
  9. B

First smps

Okay, I have done a redesign taking all of the advice I have received into consideration. Please see the schematic and PCB layout below: If there are no objections, I will be purchasing the parts. I plan on getting the supply working open loop before I attempt to do a closed loop design...
  10. B

First smps

I've been thinking on the circuit for a bit and came up with a startup circuit similar in nature that uses one less transistor (actually only one mosfet). It functions essentially the same. See the diagram below: Essentially the mosfet will not be forward active until the rail voltage...
  11. B

First smps

Hi, According to the datasheet for the diode bridge, it should be able to handle a surge current of over 200A for two cycles so it should be fine. I have a 1 ohm ICL on hand but probably will go ahead and order a larger one just to be safe. The schematic has a 220uF capacitor on the...
  12. B

First smps

Hello, I have more or less completed design on the power section of this project. I don't have the controller section completely designed yet but wanted to get opinions from other more knowledgeable users on the site before I proceed with making the power board. I have attached the schematic...
  13. B

First smps

There seems to have been a problem with the attachment in the previous post so I'll repost it here.
  14. B

First smps

Hello, I wanted to update you on my progress. I decided that I would go with a half bridge design since flux balance is self correcting as I understand. I made a schematic to get my ideas into a readable form. It is essentially just a combination of everything I have learned from studying other...
  15. B

First smps

Hello, I am a third year Electrical Engineering student. I am interested in designing and building my first smps and figured this would be the best place to get a start. I have studied smps topologies for some time now but lack some knowledge in computations. Here are some design parameters...