1kW smps project (based on MicrosiM design)

ragaman

Dear MicrosiM, im looking some version of half bridge topology that implement the blocking Capacitor in differents ways, I attack the picture from 3 version that I check from differents designers, I want to know if changing the capacitor from voltage divider have some advantage from classic connection ??.
Capacitor place.jpg

sanumar001

maybe a little bit outside the forum topic. I decided, your schemes do pcb battery charge controller. vipper22a scheme with input voltage 40-180vdc. the total battery voltage 48v. loading 48-60vdc counting down transformer with ExcellentIT 73001.jpg4.jpg

robson132

[video=youtube;Wqmdkq5zQvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqmdkq5zQvo[/video]
My smps 134V*7,8A=1045W I have a problem with heat dissipation transistors..Silicone pads are better or mica?

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
@robson132

I dont understand your problem with heat ransfer, but I prefer to use high quality silicon pads.

I can tell that your SMPS is stable ;) witch is Good !

Are you using IR2110 o drive the switches?

Are you using Mosfets of IGBTs?

What is the tempreature of the Mosfets heat-sink during the TEST?

Does the Mosfets heat in NO LOAD condition?

!!!:WARNING!!!:
As per your video
I advice you from my personal experiance, dont ever touch the SMPS primary side components FOR ANY REASON. becasue you may not live to regret it!

Regards

Last edited:

robson132

IRFP460 use, which at the same time load of 2 minutes are already very hot.
I'll try to replace the heat sink on the larger, maybe this will help.
So I am using the IR2110

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
IRFP460 use, which at the same time load of 2 minutes are already very hot.
I'll try to replace the heat sink on the larger, maybe this will help.
So I am using the IR2110

IRFP460 will heat more than any better Mosfet, its normal

You can use IGBTs, Adjust DT for better performance

sanumar001

Hello
Need your advice. my SMPS scheme works well as long as the input voltage is constant. 90Vdc. when I connect to the wind power systems running within a few minutes and break through Tranzistor volatile wind power voltage from 40V to 160V. 250w load. Transistors very hot Does this scheme work jumping voltage?WP_20150102_002.jpgWP_20150102_004.jpgWP_20141227_003.jpg

cristi

I want to make ludo's smps v2.1 and i have only the transformer in the picture. It will do the job as ETD49? Thanks in advance.

smpsdoctor

hello, this and my first posting in the forum, congratulations to all the excellent work, I live in Brazil and would like to have the files v2.1 and v3.1 for toner process, thermal transfer, grateful !!!

zoky2

Hello,my name is zoky and this is my first post on forum.I am working on SMPS posted here .It is Ludo's design ver.3.1 and I have some troubles with working.My setup is the same like ludo's, all parts are original,PCB ,all is the same. I was testing SMPS with autotransformer and external suppy for SG and IR.With lower AC voltage in the input every thing look good,no heat on fet or rectifier diodes.The waves looks normal ,also the output voltage .But when I incrise input voltage over 120-130V ac, the diode MUR120 near IR2110 go to short and the current very incrise .I was double chechking every thing and found nothing abnormal.Any idea how to fix that?
Some pictures of my SMPS:

Best regards
zoky

Attachments

• G hi.jpg
    G hi.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 83
  • G lo.jpg
    G lo.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 105
  • G to S.jpg
    G to S.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 89
  • lay.jpg
    lay.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 228

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,my name is zoky and this is my first post on forum.I am working on SMPS posted here .It is Ludo's design ver.3.1 and I have some troubles with working.My setup is the same like ludo's, all parts are original,PCB ,all is the same. I was testing SMPS with autotransformer and external suppy for SG and IR.With lower AC voltage in the input every thing look good,no heat on fet or rectifier diodes.The waves looks normal ,also the output voltage .But when I incrise input voltage over 120-130V ac, the diode MUR120 near IR2110 go to short and the current very incrise .I was double chechking every thing and found nothing abnormal.Any idea how to fix that?
Some pictures of my SMPS:

Best regards
zoky

Its very difficult to anticipate the problem.

But I recommend that you repair the SMPS at first stage, then power the SMPS _without_ feeding AC to the Mosfets/IGBTs. and check waves at the output of the IR2110. you should only get one output working.

Then, connect the Mosfets / Igbts ( without AC) only the +15V to the circuit. when you do so, you should see square waves at both Gates of the Mosfets.

Show waves, and don't power it up

Hope that helps

zoky2

Thanks to response. I was replace the MUR120 diode with UF4007,because I haven't the any MUR120 left, power up the SMPS with fets install, without AC on fets and here a pictures of waves on both gates. I thing they are like they should be or am I wrong?

Best regards
zoky

Attachments

• Gate on Low out.jpg
    Gate on Low out.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Gate on High out.jpg
    Gate on High out.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 94

res_smps

Thanks to response. I was replace the MUR120 diode with UF4007,because I haven't the any MUR120 left, power up the SMPS with fets install, without AC on fets and here a pictures of waves on both gates. I thing they are like they should be or am I wrong?

Best regards
zoky

did you put a gate to source resistor (1K each mosfet) in your circuit?i blew up some IR2110 without it

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member

Best regards
zoky

HiSide wave doesn't look good to me

are you using mosfets or IGBTS?

zoky2

Hay, I am using mosfets and all other components as they are on shematic posted by Ludo. For now only difference is uf4007 diode instead mur120.
Res_smps , no I am not using any resistors from gate to source, but I can try.

Best regards
Zoky

zoky2

Hay ,I have some update for my SMPS. I was remove mosfets and measure waves again.Here are some pictures of waves. First pictur is wave on pin 11 of sg 3525,second picture wave on pin 14, both wihtout ir2110 installed. The next pictures are waves on both pins with IR installed and the waves are diferent. On IR2110 pin 1 show waves like on picture but pin 7 show waves for about 5 second then dissapear for about 1 second and then the cycle repeats. I was change both IC but the result stay the same.Any suggestion how to fix it?

Regard
Zoky

Attachments

• pin 6 on SG3525.jpg
    pin 6 on SG3525.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 31
  • pin 11 on SG without IR installed.jpg
    pin 11 on SG without IR installed.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 46
  • pin 14 on SG witout IR instaled.jpg
    pin 14 on SG witout IR instaled.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 33
  • pin 14 on SG with IR installed.jpg
    pin 14 on SG with IR installed.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 31
  • pin 11 on SG with  IR installed.jpg
    pin 11 on SG with IR installed.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pin 1 on IR2110 .jpg
    pin 1 on IR2110 .jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 37
  • pin 7 on IR when there is signal.jpg
    pin 7 on IR when there is signal.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 31
  • pin 7 on IR NO signal.jpg
    pin 7 on IR NO signal.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 35

blasphemy000

Without the FETs installed the high-side of the IR2110 cannot operate. The FETs are required to be in-circuit so that when the low-side FET turns on it pulls the VS pin of the IR2110 low and allows the boot-strap capacitor(The cap across VB & VS pins) to charge. This capacitor provides all of the power required to drive the high-side FET during it's switching cycle. If this capacitor doesn't charge, you can't get an accurate output from the HO pin. I haven't seen the schematic for the supply you are building, but depending on the design there are a handful of different ways to test the HO output of an IR2110 without the FETs installed though.

Secondly, and again I haven't seen the schematic and a link would be more helpful here, but the MUR120 diode that you previously stated shorted out above ~130VAC. What is this diode's purpose? Is it the diode that provides the VCC charge for the boot-strap capacitor? If you're using the MUR120 as a boot-strap charge diode, then that could be the reason for it's shorting above ~120-130VAC input voltage. The MUR120 is only rated for 200VDC reverse blocking voltage and 130VAC input would give a DC-BUS voltage of ~185VDC which is pretty close to this diode's limits. Theoretically you should be able to get away with ~140VAC input voltage before your bus voltage reaches the 200VDC limit of this diode, but again, I don't know all the details and it could be receiving a higher voltage for some reason I am unaware of. The UF4007 on the other hand will handle 1000VDC and I've used them many times in the boot-strapping circuit of an IR2110. The MUR160(600VDC) works really well also. I'm just a big fan of, "Overkill is underrated..."

-Brad

zoky2

Hay,
thanks to reply.
With fets installed ,I have the waves on both side,but i I was wondering why I get signal on hi side without fets,because Microsim wrote:
**But I recommend that you repair the SMPS at first stage, then power the SMPS _without_ feeding AC to the Mosfets/IGBTs. and check waves at the output of the IR2110. you should only get one output working.**
For the MUR 160 diode I was thinking something like you write,so I put uf4007.What about waves ,do they look good or not?
The schematic is in post 102 and pcb on post 198.

regards
zoky

Attachments

• smps v2.1 sch.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 436
  • smps v3.11 Top.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 418