Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

Just to let you understand more the schematic. Pin 6 is VS, that is the centre between the 2 mosfets. Here the direction of current flow changes polarity every half cycle.
As more current is drawn by the mosfets a ripple is generated the more current the larger the amplitude of the ripple. We are now sensing this AC ripple but blocking any DC path with the small capacitor.
Now this ripple is rectified and sampled so that when a certain voltage is reached it will trigger the protection. In the V2 an SCR. this scr will pull the supply pin to ground hence switching off the smps.

It is now important to add again the 200R resistor and remove the diode at the start up section. The scr when trggers stays on until the smps is disconnected. If left on without this resistor it will eventually burn the transistors in the startup circuit due to excessive curent.
What I am saying is that between schematic and pcb (V2) there are inconsistencies.
20210529_193505.jpg20210529_193403.jpg
RC 330K ----->PIN#6 (IR2153) in board. No schematic.

Silvio

Please note that you marked the IC pins wrong. Pin 1 starts at the dot on the IC. ( EX what you marked pin3 is pin6)
On the schematic there is a small mistake but it is still tied to the center of the HB. If its before or after the primary does not make a difference.

Last edited:
Please note that you marked the IC pins wrong. Pin 1 starts at the dot on the IC. ( EX what you marked pin3 is pin6)
On the schematic there is a small mistake but it is still tied to the center of the HB. If its before or after the primary does not make a difference.
The numbers that I marked from 1 to 6, are not corresponding to the IC, but they would be the connection pins of the mini pcb to my main pcb (power)

Silvio

rev 2 de silvio very coll.....
1) I cannot see the soft start resistor. The triac mt1 and mt2 terminals should be across it.
2) you only need 1 bridge rectifier at this power, no need for 2.
3) the 15v regulators need heatsink and also the triac at the input.
If this is the revision 2 version i see you built the one with high frequecy soft start and short circuit protection. Is that correct?

lcpimenta

Choice of oscillators and protection

The PCB can be adopted to work with a different oscillator as mentioned before due to the oscillator board and protection circuit is mounted on a separate pin header. This is plugged in the socket provided on the pcb. I also made plans to use different protection circuitry using either a Schmitt trigger or driving an SCR gate with both options pulling down pin 3 of the IR2153 to ground. However these type of protection brings out the need to reset by switching off the supply and waiting for the bulk cap to discharge until it can be switched on again. I prepared the prototype pcbs for these but have not been tried yet

Heat sink and cooling

Um bom dissipador de calor é necessário para os fets e diodos de saída, pois eles são acionados com bastante força durante o pico de saída. Com o dissipador de calor usado, os smps podem controlar a energia facilmente se um pequeno ventilador estiver incluído. Disponibilizei uma tomada para ventoinha por este motivo. Na minha configuração, a potência de pico pode ser mantida por um longo tempo sem que as coisas esquentem com o ventilador ligado. Este foi colocado ao lado para resfriar também o transformador

Saída auxiliar.

Uma saída auxiliar de 12v-0-12v é fornecida com capacidade de cerca de 800mA. Destina-se a acionar um estágio de pré-amplificador ou algum circuito de proteção em um amplificador. Muitas vezes vejo a necessidade de uma saída separada por esse motivo.

A tensão de projeto do smps é 46-0-46 de pico na entrada de 230 volts. Durante meus testes, a tensão de saída caiu para 78 volts a 9,4 amperes. A tensão de entrada era de 227vac com uma potência de 730watts. A eficiência dos smps atingiu 90%.

SE ALGUEM ESTAR INTERESSADO EM CONSTRUIR ESTE SMPS, ENVIAREI O ARQUIVO PDF DE FORMA PRIVADA

View attachment 6150
Boa tarde. Você poderia me enviar os arquivos deste projeto? luizcpimenta@gmail.com Obrigado.

yingtso

Audio smps 550 watts 700watts peak

Here is an audio half bridge smps that can be altered in quite a lot of ways. This smps was designed in such a way that different drivers can be adopted, also that different protection circuits can be adopted. The one presented here is with a current limiter which works very well.

The driver choice at the moment is with the IR2153 which is rather cheap. However other options can be made to be driven with an SG3525 and can be regulated. Options for feed back can be included on a small pcb having an opto coupler and Zener to stabilize the output voltage. Provisions have been made for output inductors. However these are made very small (5uH) at the moment as this smps is intended for audio purposes and not stabilized, the IR2153 works at full duty cycle and not much noise is generated.

The transformer construction is very important and tight coupling was kept in mind during winding. However the input and output snubbers where not needed as the wave forms came out very clean and free of distortion and spikes. A video is available on youtube regarding the construction of the transformer which can be found on this link.
Here the whole construction of the trafo is seen with some very good tips for good transformer construction for this smps.

Circuit description

As the smps is switched on the rectified DC voltage starts charging the main bulk capacitor limiting the current through the 15 ohm NTC thermistor. As the voltage at the bulk cap reaches around 170 vdc TR1 and 2 are coupled in a constant current source which the voltage at TR1 is clamped at 160v via ZD1. TR 2 is clamped at 10 volts via ZD2. together they start charging C8 when the threshold voltage of around 9.2 volts. The chip starts oscillation The auxiliary supply takes over and stabilize the voltage at the pin 1 of the IR2153 at 13 volts via ZD3 hence the constant current source is switched off. At the same time it starts charging the main secondary caps the current however is limited by the current limiter to around 6 amp on the input of the drain of TR4 and TR5. A 2 turn loop at the transformer supplies the gate of the triac at the input shorting out the NTC thermistor and full power is now available. All this happens in the blink of an eye.

Short circuit and current limiting.
The choice of current limiter was chosen however I admit its not my design and after a few trimmings in the coupling capacitor and also in the some resistor values from the original circuit works very nicely. It limits the output power to 700 watts of which this can also be adjusted for higher and lower power. This will protect both amplifier and the smps itself during over load by reducing the output voltage and the output current drops to around 2.5 amps until the overload is removed.
The current sensing can be done either with a current transformer or with a more simple method which I chose. In my case the current sense is done by sensing the ripple voltage at the center point of the fets. When the threshold is reached TR3 pulls down the supply at pin 1 via Led 1 of the IR2153 and thus switching it off. A point is reached where the load reduces and also the ripple hence and oscillation starts again. This action is repeated until reasonable load is reached and normal operation starts again. If a dead short is present the output current is limited to 2.5 amps. >>>>> Continues in pdf
Hi, Silvio

I'm Benny from Taiwan,

I try to D.I.Y Class D SMPS with IR2153(as followed your circuit), it works well in many stages

But IR2153 does not advise use in a new design from IR ( IC marker because of going to end of life?)

I tried to use IRS2153 to replace IR2153 but it burn many times if connect to Transformer,

and ZD3(13V) burn, IRS2135 absolutely burn. (but it works well and matches with IR2153)

Do you have any experience with using IRS2153 to replace IR2153?

Thanks & Regards

Benny

Attachments

• try IRS2153.png
    try IRS2153.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 30

Silvio

Hi, Silvio

I'm Benny from Taiwan,

I try to D.I.Y Class D SMPS with IR2153(as followed your circuit), it works well in many stages

But IR2153 does not advise use in a new design from IR ( IC marker because of going to end of life?)

I tried to use IRS2153 to replace IR2153 but it burn many times if connect to Transformer,

and ZD3(13V) burn, IRS2135 absolutely burn. (but it works well and matches with IR2153)

Do you have any experience with using IRS2153 to replace IR2153?

Thanks & Regards

Benny
Hi Benny, be careful that you are not using IRS 21531 as this IC has a shorter dead time only 0.6uS compared to the IR 2153 which is 1.2uS. I also tried to use one of these in my smps and it also burned. It was IRS 21531. The reason they burn is that there is shoot trough it means that while one mosfet is still switching off the other mosfet start to switch on and boom it burns. In this case the drive circuit has to be altered and the switching off has to be enhanced.
I hope you are using the suggested mosfet IRF740 and not something else. The IRF 740 has a rather low total gate charge of around 45nC so if you are using mosfets with higher gate charge the IC may not be capable of driving them properly and the rise and decay times may be longer. This will reflect in the short dead time of the IC ( IRS21531)and may be the cause of the burn and failure.
You can also use the IR2153D This new version has an internal diode built in from pin 1 to pin 8.
You should also use a good quality capacitor as bootstrap I use polypropylene or ceramic or CBB type.
Try also to reduce the value of the gate resistors to 22R instead of 27R. This will also enhance a little the gate drive of the mosfets.

I hope this solves your problem.

Regards Silvio

Last edited:

Silvio

Regarding the 13v zener burning it is not normal because at 4 turns in the auxiliary winding the output voltage here is around 18 to 20v. The current through the zener is around 35mA, (20v- 13v = 7v) (7v / 200R = 0.035A [35mA] this will have a power dissipation of 245mW. A 400mW zener shall handle this power with ease.

yingtso

Hi Benny, be careful that you are not using IRS 21531 as this IC has a shorter dead time only 0.6uS compared to the IR 2153 which is 1.2uS. I also tried to use one of these in my smps and it also burned. It was IRS 21531. The reason they burn is that there is shoot trough it means that while one mosfet is still switching off the other mosfet start to switch on and boom it burns. In this case the drive circuit has to be altered and the switching off has to be enhanced.
I hope you are using the suggested mosfet IRF740 and not something else. The IRF 740 has a rather low total gate charge of around 45nC so if you are using mosfets with higher gate charge the IC may not be capable of driving them properly and the rise and decay times may be longer. This will reflect in the short dead time of the IC ( IRS21531)and may be the cause of the burn and failure.
You can also use the IR2153D This new version has an internal diode built in from pin 1 to pin 8.
You should also use a good quality capacitor as bootstrap I use polypropylene or ceramic or CBB type.
Try also to reduce the value of the gate resistors to 22R instead of 27R. This will also enhance a little the gate drive of the mosfets.

Regards Silvio
I will try different configurations as I have less than 5 IRS2153D left, thanks for the instructions,if have anything news,I'll reply

Thanks & Regards

Benny

yingtso

Regards Silvio
Hi, Silvio

I have tried a lot with the IRS2153 and still can't get it to work on the circuit of the IR2153

I went back to the IR2153 for the time being as I have a few ICs left

About S/C protection: Can an LED be added to this position?

I tried it and it will burn the LED, cause burn my IRF740. any other ideas?

Thanks & Regards

Benny

Attachments

• SC P with LED.png
    SC P with LED.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 22

Silvio

I cannot see why the circuit does not work with the IRS chip. They suppose to have the same structure as the dip types. Regarding the led its rather difficult really as during operation the aux winding is supplying the voltage and when the SCR fires it pulls the supply to ground. Adding any resistance here may not ground the supply rail in time. As the chip stop oscillating only the start up circuit is in operation but this will only supply a few milliamps and may not be enough to light up the led.
Regarding some more modifications. Well I hope ZD1 is around 150v. To aid start up you can chainge ZD2 to 12v, ZD3 to 15v and change R8 to 120R. Before making changes check the input voltage before R8, this should be 17v to 20v. Check voltage at pin 1 this should read 13v. With the chip removed the startup voltage at pin 1 should not be less than 10v. I encountered some chips that need 11v at start up and refuse to start at a lower voltage. It could be that fake chips draw more current at start up.

Last edited:

Godyreal

Choice of oscillators and protection

The PCB can be adopted to work with a different oscillator as mentioned before due to the oscillator board and protection circuit is mounted on a separate pin header. This is plugged in the socket provided on the pcb. I also made plans to use different protection circuitry using either a Schmitt trigger or driving an SCR gate with both options pulling down pin 3 of the IR2153 to ground. However these type of protection brings out the need to reset by switching off the supply and waiting for the bulk cap to discharge until it can be switched on again. I prepared the prototype pcbs for these but have not been tried yet

Heat sink and cooling

A good heat sink is needed for the fets and output diodes as these are driven quite hard during the peak output. With the heat sink used the smps can handle the power easily if a small fan is included. I made a fan socket available for this reason. In my setup peak power could be held for quite a long time without things getting hot with the fan on. This was placed at the side to cool also the transformer

Auxiliary output.

An auxiliary output of 12v-0-12v is provided capable of around 800mA. This is intended to drive a preamp stage or some protection circuit on an amplifier. I often see the need of a separate output for this reason.

The design voltage of the smps is 46-0-46 peak at 230 volts input. During my tests the output voltage went down to 78volts at 9.4 amps. The input voltage was 227vac with a power output of 730watts. The efficiency of the smps reached 90%.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN BUILDING THIS SMPS I WILL SEND THE PDF FILE PRIVATELY

View attachment 6150
am currently working on building it though i need it to be 30+30 volts and still 700watts i recalculate the secondary turns to be 12+12turns my problem is i cant source for mcr100-8 but i have pcr606 can i use it as equivalent? thanks in advance

Silvio

This smps is not regulated hence the output voltage will drop with constant load. For audio purpose it is still good though.
PCR606 is also good for protection.
I suggest you see the videos in the links below before you attempt to wind transformer.
Link 1

Link 2

steven

Hi All !

@Silvio
I would like to redraw your circuits and make my own PCB. Please, what is the material core and size of ring for the S/C Protection transformer (80/1.5) ? Thanks. Steven.

Silvio

Hi All !

@Silvio
I would like to redraw your circuits and make my own PCB. Please, what is the material core and size of ring for the S/C Protection transformer (80/1.5) ? Thanks. Steven.
The size is about 12 to 15mm ring core (green) the turns are calculated according to the current that passes in the center tap of the divider capacitors for half bridge topology. The turns can be adjusted to match a standard resistor value for the load resistor of the secondary of the ring core.20220901_195623.jpg

steven

Hi all !

@Silvio : This is the edited schematic diagram of your SMPS. If you see any mistake, or suggestion, please let me know.

Note: MCR100 Thyristor is now obsolete, i suggest S6X8ES as replacement.

https://pdf.lu/2UnY

(revised schematic)

Last edited:

Silvio

Hi Steven, Here are some mods and errors found in the schematic.
Lately I made some changes to this smps as at times the IR2153 bought from aliexpress do not start up as they seem to need more than 10v on pin one of the IR2153 to start up.

Change Zener D3 to 12v and Zener D4 to 15v. Now also the auxiliary voltage being about 18v or so it is also advisable to change R23 to 100R.

The burden resistor on the current trafo should be 33R and not 33K.

It could be the case of the added output capacitors the smps would not start up due to overcurrent protection kicking in due to high capacity on the secondary. However this can be cured by prolonging a bit the delay capacitor C15. Changing it from 1uf to 2uf instead will cure the problem.

Regarding the SCR any small scr will usually work.

The start up resistor can also be changed to about 47R 5w brick type resistor. This will make the soft start more easy. Be sure that the coupling loop produces enough voltage for the the triac in the input bypassing the soft start resistor will come on when the full primary voltage is reached. You can tell if its working as when the smps is loaded the soft start resistor will get hot if the triac is not energized. You can measure the voltage produced on the gate of the triac and see if its adequate by looking at the datasheet of the triac used. This voltage can be adjusted either by adding or subtracting the turns of the coupling loop or by adjusting the resistive divider at the gate of the triac.

I also recommend the use of a small inductor after the secondary diodes (1.5uH) these will limit the surge current at start up and also help out with the high frequency noise going to the output. These can be made on a piece of ferrite rod from an old AM radio antenna. winding 4 or 5 turns of 1.5mm ECW will do the trick :)

Regards Silvio.

Last edited: