Search results

1. Silvio

Short-circuited my brand new SMPS :-(

Try this link...
  2. Silvio

Half bridge SMPS - transistors blow up under inductive load

I believe that when you are using those kind of motors it is surely the fact that as you are saying the transistors are getting hot it is clearly seen that the peak currents are exceeding a certain limit. A simple cure is to use a more efficient heatsink and also added fan cooling if heat is...
  3. Silvio

2 basic question about half bridge smps.

QUOTE:- In fig. 5 the whole core of the transformer is used since the voltage swings from +1/2 VCC to -1/2 VCC. Is that still the case in fig. 3? As explained earlier this is also half bridge topology and using only the blocking capacitor in fig 3. Only half the voltage is present across the...
  4. Silvio

1kW smps project (based on MicrosiM design)

This is a modified file that works on windows 10
  5. Silvio

You can download the file on the link below. This program does not run on windows 10 but works well on windows 7 and possibly 8 also. You will find the zip files on post #85 download the 7300 file...
  6. Silvio

B is the flux density. This varies according to the core material Not all core materials take the same flux density. This is usually applied according to the core material. There exist a lot of types of materials some are siuted for high frequency around 100khz or more and some are siuted to...
  7. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

Please note that you marked the IC pins wrong. Pin 1 starts at the dot on the IC. ( EX what you marked pin3 is pin6) On the schematic there is a small mistake but it is still tied to the center of the HB. If its before or after the primary does not make a difference.
  8. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

Just to let you understand more the schematic. Pin 6 is VS, that is the centre between the 2 mosfets. Here the direction of current flow changes polarity every half cycle. As more current is drawn by the mosfets a ripple is generated the more current the larger the amplitude of the ripple. We...
  9. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

A picture of a center tapped current transformer. Note the 1.5 turn coupling loop in the bottom.
  10. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

The V2 file with high frequency soft start and SCP with scr and current transformer works 100% This is the version I have now. You can see it on youtube. About the current transformer it is 80-0-80 turns with 0.16mm wire. About the 1.5 turn coupling loop it is simply passed in the middle of...
  11. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

Why not try to alter pin header and use scr instead?
  12. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

Change also the capacitor it is important to minimize the sensitivity
  13. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

PS: my Vr1 is 5K (is there a problem with that?) No there should not be a problem with that Try to use a lower value like I said 2k2 resistor
  14. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

From what you are telling me Do you have discharge resistors on the high voltage DC line? You can also try reducing the value of the 4.7K resistor (2.2K) at the base of 2n5401. Try also enlarge the 100nF capacitor at the base of 2n5551 (1uF)
  15. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

To tell you the truth although I designed the schmitt trigger version I never tried it for real on the smps. Things you can try 1) You can remove the input thermister and put a 5watt 47R resistor instead. To help a slower start up 2) Following my schematic for schmitt trigger there is a...
  16. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

I don't know if you have included the high frequency soft start. I don't know if you have included the secondary output inductors either. What is the output capacitance that you are using on each rail? which pin header did you build? I had 3 options 1) With current limiter, 2) Protection with...
  17. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

For the protection to reset you need to disconnect from mains and wait for the bulk capacitor to discharge.
  18. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

Here is the startup current for a genuine IC . Below R6 value on my schematic. I never made a silk screen for this pcb
  19. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

Your IC is not genuine and is drawing more current than the specs of the ir2153, why not try removing the IC and measure the voltage at pin 1?
  20. Silvio

Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

I think you better change R8 to 120-150R to compensate a little for the lesser voltage or you can put another series diode to the FR diode to drop the auxiliary voltage a little more. This will not stress the12v zener. Have you tried to measure the voltage across the transformer winding? I...