Search results

1. J

source for prototyping quantities of transformer core laminations in USA?

I need to prototype an EI, EE, UI or similar core and I haven't been able to find a source in the USA that provides prototyping quantities of steel/iron transformer laminations. I know there were sources long ago but I think they may have dried up. For instance, magneticmetals.com just emailed...
  2. J

whats the best boost pfc feedback loop explanation you've seen?

Im teaching myself about boost pfc and while I've seen several datasheet/app note diagrams showing how the gain modulator/error feedback system is schematically, I've not yet seen a more intuitive explanation that perhaps has more diagrams showing how the feedback loop actually works to convert...
  3. J

Why arent bar magnet fields described in Oersteds or Ampturns/Length?

Educating myself on magnetic fields. I was expecting to find that commercially available permanent magnets would have their strength EDIT: **net practical effect** measured in the same units as electromagnets, i.e. amp/turns per length or Oersteds. But instead it seems like they are measured in...
  4. J

the world of inductors and me...newbie questions!

So I am trying to increase my level of understanding of inductors, and I've been reading and will be continuing to read the zillions of papers online about them. The thing is, I have to make sure my understanding of ALL inductors is consistent. For instance, when I'm reading something thats...
  5. J

14VDC to 24VDC @ 100A..how cheap/simple can we get?

Yep its a welder. But powered by automotive electrical system instead of mains. So lets say 14V input. Output needs to be constant current at about 100A, with a maximum voltage of around 24V. The voltage needs to be limited to 30V absolute worst case for safety. Amperage does not need to be...
  6. J

n00b looking for some recommendations please?

Hello! This forum is very exciting, I have always wanted to design an SMPS, but I never had a good reason to spend all the time and money needed to do it. But now I have a great reason! I have a CNC mill which currently runs only at 7000 rpm. However, the manufacturer says if I can provide...