Search results

1. B

Two switch forward based on UC3845

Yes that is true, the chip is limited to 50% duty cycle with this topology so without regulation that's the maximum voltage I can get out of it.
  2. B

So out of curiosity I built a single switch forward (with reset winding). All works fine but the output can't sustain even a small load (few hundred miliamps) without dropping (for example 500mA drops from 25V to about 10). The transistor doesn't heat up, the output diodes don't, I tried...
  3. B

I'm revisiting this since I've come across the need to use GDTs again. It seems that the BC546/BC556 isn't really enough to drive a GDT. I've built a similar SMPS for another project and while the drive is good enough for the main transistors, the poor totem pole pair driving the GDT blows up...
  4. B

Half bridge SMPS - transistors blow up under inductive load

I have built a half bridge SMPS that outputs 110V at around 5A amps to power a CNC motor. It's based on SG3525 with a GDT. The power supply works fine under resistive loads (some light bulbs), there's no abnormal heating up of the components even after a long time under load, but when connecting...
  5. B

2 basic question about half bridge smps.

In fig. 5 the whole core of the transformer is used since the voltage swings from +1/2 VCC to -1/2 VCC. Is that still the case in fig. 3?
  6. B

Forgot to mention, this is the GDT
  7. B

Well, it makes sense since peak currents are basically double that of a half bridge where transistors are driven one at a time. But I was thinking, a BC546/BC556 totem pole can only sink 100mA continuously, and a UC3845 can do 500mA. Even a TL494 can do 200mA. So how is it helping?
  8. B

Q1 is 2N7000. I did remove it along with D2 and placed a cap between pins 1 and 3 of Q1 and the waveform looks better. But nothing changed, and eventually one of the mosfets blew up along with some tracks. I'll re-do the PCB.
  9. B

It is a circuit posted on the TI blog: https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/powerhouse/posts/power-tips-a-simple-circuit-for-driving-gate-drive-transformers
  10. B

This was tested using a separate power supply for the chip. The slow rise time comes from the drive circuitry around Q1. I can maybe try driving the GDT directly through a series cap, see if that helps.
  11. B

I haven't yet built the power supply I posted, but I built a similar one. The problem I'm having is that the transistors are getting really hot even under the minimum load. There's also a ringing noise on the transformer. First waveform is with no input, second with input. I suspect the...
  12. B

Issues with transformer/inductor cores

Yes, I will be adding an auxiliary power supply. From what I've read, the SG is not really capable of starting up like a UC3843 does (it maybe can but the resistor has to handle the whole supply current).
  13. B

I connected the feedback circuit at about 51V and this is what happens with the transformer: This is probing at the auxiliary winding, the secondary winding looks the same (only with a different ratio). The rectified DC also seems to be lower than expected, at least with this auxiliary winding...
  14. B

I rewinded the transformer and I now get around 58V unloaded at the output. I rated the windings for 7A, although I don't know if the core can handle it (I had enough space for thicker wires). For now, it's unregulated. Loaded at 4A the voltage drops to 55V. That's the maximum current I could...
  15. B

Ah so there's my mistake. I assumed (I'm taking your example) that the entire winding needs to have 20V, so I wound 2+2 turns, not 4+4. That's why I was getting half the expected voltage at the output.
  16. B

So let me see if I understand correctly. I need 60VDC at the output. Each half primary sees 155V, so each half secondary sees 30V. But with a double diode full wave rectifier (not full bridge), the rectified output should be 60V. There's a single output so only a simple inductor. One thing I...
  17. B

It's a half bridge, and that's exactly how I winded the transformer. This is the output from both winding ends referenced to GND (center tap). I get 34V DC output.
  18. B

I have 30 turns on the primary and 60V calculated output. That gave me 6 turns. For a forward converter that would've been 60 turns primary and 12 turns secondary.
  19. B

Gate waveforms and transformer secondary waveforms. However I have a question regarding the output section. I need 60V at the output, and with the calculated turns ratio I get a 12 turns secondary. So I wound 6 turns - center tap - 6 turns, and each end connects to pins 1 and 3 of the diode. Is...
  20. B

Not if the transformer remains on the primary side and is only used to drive the transistors. Yes that might be the case. I'll wind a transformer for mains voltage and see how it goes, since I have the drive circuitry pretty much set up.