Search results

1. B

Half bridge SMPS - transistors blow up under inductive load

I have built a half bridge SMPS that outputs 110V at around 5A amps to power a CNC motor. It's based on SG3525 with a GDT. The power supply works fine under resistive loads (some light bulbs), there's no abnormal heating up of the components even after a long time under load, but when connecting...
  2. B

Issues with transformer/inductor cores

I'd like to open this topic on transformer cores and calculating them. I've had some issues with my SMPS projects that I guess are related to the transformer core, mainly too much primary current, big inductive spikes on the primary winding, audible noises coming from the transformer or not...
  3. B

Two switch forward based on UC3845

I've been contemplating at building a two switch forward converter for some time. Since I need a power supply for some powered speakers, I thought it's a good time to build one. As far as I've learned about this topology, the advantages are: - single ended drive (it can use any flyback...
  4. B

IR2153 HO doesn't switch

I'm building an IR2153 SMPS and I have a problem with the controller. HO doesn't switch, it stays high and blows the transistors. LO switches fine. I measured it both ways just to be sure: - with HO referenced to GND I get HO high and no switching - with HO referenced to VS (with an isolated...
  5. B

SEPIC converter with coupled inductors

I've built a SEPIC converter and I'm having trouble making it work with coupled inductors. It works well with separate inductors, but with the coupled inductor I get a lot of ringing and the voltage drops and can't go up with a load attached. Schematic: Waveform at the inductor Waveform at...
  6. B

What topology is this and how does the driver work?

I've been trying to repair and reverse engineer a welding inverter and came across some interesting circuitry. It uses the UC3845 control chip and a low-high side driver L6386. Since the UC has a single ended output connected to both inputs of the driver chip, it makes me think that it's a...
  7. B

TL494 Lab PSU

I've started building a lab PSU using the TL494. The schematic is attached below, it's missing a lot of things but I'm still testing stuff on the breadboard. The problem I have is with the gate drive transformer. When I connect it, it pulls a lot of current through Q1, which quickly heats up...
  8. B

Constant current in SMPS

Greetings, I'm building a variable lab power supply and I'm trying to understand how constant current / current feedback works with PWM. I've been looking at danyk's lab SMPS project that uses UC3845 and a current transformer. According to the block diagram of the chip, the ISENSE pin is...