A real good power supply.

zjaakco

Hi All
Some time life isn't easy, special if you think you can do some thing, but in real life it going completely wrong. The reason is of course no knowlegde. Second if one shoot off your idea without a reason.

Many years I walk around with a idea of a power supply. Only no idea how to get it in the real world. What's happen?

It was about 1990, a friend came with a mains filter, big, heavy, and very noisy.
So connected in the mains, and to the audio stuff. And... nothing special.
Mine friend, don't worry, a half hour. What happen, the soundstage became wider, deeper, more detail. a completely differend sound, and I love it.
On that time mine audio stuff was about $5000.
But I really dislike that big noisy filter. ( all the mains power must through that
filter). So there must be a other way.
And that is why I am here.

zjaakco

Hi
A few days ago I read again the review of the linn sondek cd 12 on the site of
stereophile. When I read of the smps I thought this is what I have in mind.
Only... linn did it much better. Basicly they use 2 converters in serie. The first one is a default smps, the second a converter feed through a oscillator. And this is a way to get a real good, stable and clean power supply. a real good one.
After the experience whit the mains filter, it keep running in mine mind.
Why did it so good sounding? I am still not sure for 100%, but the most importend reason is the mains frequency. Generator are not built to act as a oscillator, so instability. The filter recover the frequency, much more stable, a improved sound. But I didn't like that noisy filter, so converters are the way
to go.

zjaakco

Hi,
The question is what do I need? First, the amount of power out. second,
which kind of converters? It depends will the output of the first converter a high Vac, or a low Vac. I don't know which is the best. a low output give a possiblilty to use the second converter too in a car. This different have to do with the turns on the trafo.
I have seen smps in low cost dvd players, very small, whit low output but not a good sound.
These are mainly fly back, reason low power. On this site I see only high power
smps. Now I am on a point where I need advice. A low or a high Vac out, the power, as a start, 25 Watts
I believe this is a better start to reach my goal, a real good power supply.
Feel free to give any reaction, correct my mistakes.
Regards
Zjaakco

zjaakco

Hi,
Keep in mind, the ps wich I will make must be for diy, thus repeateble.
To create as easy as possible.
regards
Zjaakco

zjaakco

Hi.
After some considerations, I decide to go for a high Vac output. That will make
the trafo more stabel.
1 is it possible to 200- 230Vac out with a smps?

2 Which type of smps do I need here?
regards

zjaakco

HI,

I still keep searhing, with some result. When I found this sinus inverter I decide to make one. The reason that I will give it a try, is a much more cleaner 230Vac /115Vac.
Then following a smps, one of the shelf. The next will be a dc to ac converter with a pure sinus of 25 - 50 Khz. the outputs of the smps and the sinus converter depend on what one needs. A pure sinus converter have I not found on the web, still the proffessionals haven't one.
I am shure that this is a way to a very good, and very importend, a clean powersupply.
This issue will never be reach with a lineair ps, just all the (switching) dirt from
many electric devices.
If there is somebody with understanding to make a pure sinus conveter, please
let us know.
Regards,
Zjaakco

Attachments

• sinus inverter.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:

zjaakco

Hi, all
I have a lot of time to thinking about a circiut for a high frequency power supply.
When I saw a tube PP power amp, with a band width of 60 Khz, I draw a circuit
in the attached pdf file. I think the circuit will not working on the wy I have draw it.
But I think it can be a basic of a working circuit.
For clearity, This circuit is DIY, this mean it's not allowed for commercial purpuse.
Anyone may use it, for personal use.
The values in the circuit are not fix, but a start.
If it is better to use mosfet's, do it and let us know.
The value of the frequency is not importend, just the stability of the amplitude
is the key. And I really don't know if feetback is necessary.
The power depent on the size of the core and the frequncy.
I think here is someone who can help to get a working circuit.
Regards,
Zjaakco

PS if you see nothing on the pdf file, keep clicking on the button that decrease the
drawing

Attachments

• AC-AC Converter 1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 335

zjaakco

Hi all
For the one who follow mine story, he/she discover a zigzag in explanation.
The reason for this is, I had less understanding and knowlegde about the subject.
But with almost everythingh in life, if you will be good in something you like, there is only
one way.... hold on, dare to learn.
This story is means for reproduction of audio as well for recording of audio.
So, the first big step for a real good power supply is the mains.
For a good explanation for a balanced mains, go to
www.equitech.com.
Regards,
Zkaakco

zjaakco

Hi,
The second step is the sinus converter, posted in post #9.
This step is not mandatory (Of course no one Is mandatory), but make one, because its not
difficult, and sheep wen you diy, this kind of converters with a pure sinus output are expensive in the shop.
And you can easily compere the mains frequncy with the recovert frequency.
Regards
Zjaakco

Last edited:

zjaakco

Hi,
The third step, a smps.
When I heard audio with a smps in the ps, there where 2 things I discovered.
Things I never heard with a lineair ps. I have used ps with balanced output, with 2
trafo's balanced, then a capacitor multiplier, to make it se, then with different regs
with very good result. But always with the hard colt digital sound, never a realistic
natural sound. And that changed with a smps.

I believe that the mains power is so much corrupted, that it will be not possible to
clean up the mains with a lineair ps.
And when use a smps, no regs are necessary, safe room and money.
If you still have a doubt, almost anyone use a lm317, replace it with a LM2573HV-adj.
like fig, 15 in the datasheet. Easy and sheep for a try-out.
Make one, or one off the shelf?
Go to www.smps.us for more explanation.
For free software, www.powerint.com. Register for free, then you can download the software. Very good. there is a forum too.
Regards,
Zjaakco

Attachments

• LM2575HV.pdf
    717.5 KB · Views: 22

zjaakco

Hi,
Step 4, the ac to ac converter.
I think it's not the right name for it, dc to ac, or resonant converter????
This converter cleans up the output of the smps.it will delete some polution, wich result in a much more cleaner ps.
On this website, in the trhead "smps transformer primary turns calculation" ,page 6,
post #53,is the formula delivered.
For example, for a start, if you need 15Vdc, use a smps with 15Vdc output.
And if you need 20VA out, use a smps with 30-40 VA out. No overkill with VA.
Be sure that the current is running in the smps, it will give a better output wave.
For a very good explanation about transformers, goto sound.westhost.com/xfmr.htm.
Regards,
Zjaakco

Attachments

• AC-AC Converter.jpg
    AC-AC Converter.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 26

zjaakco

Hi,
The core of the ac to ac converter.
The info of ferrite is a mess. But in this application you will use a mangaan zinc ferrite.
Just for the lower frequency range, 10Khz- 200Khz. If you are a starter, start with a torroid
ferrite, E-core are more difficult to construct.
The key of this converter is not the value of the frequency, but the stability of the frequency and
the amplitude. The mains frequency is not stable enough and the sinuswave is corrupted.
This is easily to view on a scope.
Start with a frequency between 25Khz to 35Khz. How better the stability, the better the result,
basicly for everything, but especial for audio.

In the formula for calculating the primairy is a 4 used. this is for a square wave. For a sinuswave use 4,44.

regards,
Zjaakco

Last edited:

zjaakco

Hi,
After many years I finally have mine ps, and be very very happy.

I sell nothing. Parts from the shelf, or where else you can buy. If there parts difficult to find,
view in the datasheet the order #. Use that, than you searh on one particular part.
www.alibaba.com, you will find many chinees companies, they will sell in small numbers.
For clearity,
The info supplied here is free to ues for diy. I was secure as possible, but still there can be
mistakes.
I don't take any responsibility for mistakes, damage, or what else that going wrong.
It's DIY.

Keep in mind, if you will, want something, there is one way, Don't give up, hold on. Ask.
If you still have questions, MicrosiM will help you. He have the understanding and knowlegde.
After almost 3 years searhing on the web, I go off for a while.
I hope to read some reaction here.
Regards,
Zjaakco

Last edited:

zjaakco

Hi MicrosiM,

Thank you very much for your aid, help, support.
Regards,
Zjaakco

Last edited:

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Hi MicrosiM,

Thank you very much for your aid, help, support.
Regards,
Zjaakco

Hi Zjaako

I am afraid that I got lost here!!!

If I udnerstand things well, you have already made or built the first version of your SMPS?

If thats true, just let me know what problem you are facing, Since this is really interesting project.

I ams orry for late replay, But I am busy into this peroiod.