Audio smps 700w (IR2153)

quadtech

There is small correction to be made where you have the orange arrow. This should have been a 4.7k resistor instead of the diode. Take a look at

the attached image

Ok, noted. I will start collecting the parts - this is my first smps, though I did a lot of audio diy before.

rinchz

hi sir silvio as i look for the IR2153 circuits i had found your project and i am very much interested since i had most of the components you used the only thing i wanna clarify was the CORE to be used i had GBU606, 560u400x2, 2sk2654 x2, IR2153, etc... now the cores that i have taken from junk was labeled 42x15 (1 with gap, 1 with no gap) there were also ee35 i think but i do not know the material type,,, can you suggest and guide me i am just a hobbyist but i mad several high power amps before though, just new to ClassD and SMPS, thanks20190415_201936.jpg20190415_201747.jpg

Silvio

hi sir silvio as i look for the IR2153 circuits i had found your project and i am very much interested since i had most of the components you used the only thing i wanna clarify was the CORE to be used i had GBU606, 560u400x2, 2sk2654 x2, IR2153, etc... now the cores that i have taken from junk was labeled 42x15 (1 with gap, 1 with no gap) there were also ee35 i think but i do not know the material type,,, can you suggest and guide me i am just a hobbyist but i mad several high power amps before though, just new to ClassD and SMPS, thanksView attachment 6929View attachment 6930

Hi I just wanted to tell you that switching power supplies are not simple as they seem and some care must be taken before attempting to build one. I suggest you read the SMPS warnings on the top of the page first.

You will surely need an oscilloscope and an Isolating transformer.

Regarding your ferrite core transformers we will see together what are they really are. You can search the internet regarding dismantling these cores. You can also find information and data books about ferrites and accessories to help you understand what type of cores you have.

Regards Silvio

rinchz

Hi I just wanted to tell you that switching power supplies are not simple as they seem and some care must be taken before attempting to build one. I suggest you read the SMPS warnings on the top of the page first.

You will surely need an oscilloscope and an Isolating transformer.

Regarding your ferrite core transformers we will see together what are they really are. You can search the internet regarding dismantling these cores. You can also find information and data books about ferrites and accessories to help you understand what type of cores you have.

Regards Silvio

hi sir i want to thank you for quick reply,
i am aware with the so called warnings sir i have learned safety as utmost importance, i just become interested in this SMPS thing since i it has a lot of advantages than the conventional way, i already had made some from 320volt.com with the use of atx psu's that i had been using for small audio amps,.. but these circuits are not complete...i mean no current limiter, etc... but yours are seemed to be safer my only problem was identifying the cores i had on hand but my next option was to buy ETD cores online, because my next experiments will be ludo's design.

regards
sam

Silvio

hi sir i want to thank you for quick reply,
i am aware with the so called warnings sir i have learned safety as utmost importance, i just become interested in this SMPS thing since i it has a lot of advantages than the conventional way, i already had made some from 320volt.com with the use of atx psu's that i had been using for small audio amps,.. but these circuits are not complete...i mean no current limiter, etc... but yours are seemed to be safer my only problem was identifying the cores i had on hand but my next option was to buy ETD cores online, because my next experiments will be ludo's design.

regards
sam

Very well Sam if you have already a bit of experience then this will help you a lot. Ludo's design is more strait forward and please look for the latest version on his tread. That power supply has been built by many diyers and it proved it works.

Regarding the core it is best to choose one with a known material as the number of turns will vary according to the material of the core used. With this you can take the best efficiency out of your smps.

Be careful on what types of chips and mosfets you buy especially from China as some of them will be fakes. A lesson I have learned myself. For example buying an sg3525 that works well with 12v supply but as the voltage goes beyond the output waveform starts to skew and deform. Other mishaps are mosfets cannot withstand the rated load and blow off at half the specified current. Take care and buy genuine parts from a known manufacturer.

I suggest that you take a while and read the blog posts of transformer winding practices for smps and making litz wire at home. There are other blogs that you can learn from and find them useful.

I will help you along with any difficulties you may come by, till then

Good luck

Regards Silvio

Last edited:

xuantunt

Disabled
How to set the power limit to work correctly. For example I want to limit it to 1000W, what must I change on the circuit? Thanks a lot.

Silvio

How to set the power limit to work correctly. For example I want to limit it to 1000W, what must I change on the circuit? Thanks a lot.

It depends on which power supply are you referring to; Is it the 700w smps or the 1000w? The 700w smps has a current limiter and not a short circuit protection. The 1000w smps uses a current transformer and a voltage comparator to accurately shut down in the event of over current or short circuit.

xuantunt

Disabled
It depends on which power supply are you referring to; Is it the 700w smps or the 1000w? The 700w smps has a current limiter and not a short circuit protection. The 1000w smps uses a current transformer and a voltage comparator to accurately shut down in the event of over current or short circuit.
Thank you for your reply. My 1000W kit has been revised according to your 700W prototype. I use fet 460 and EC42 transformer. I use sub-board 5401 and 5551, protect against short-circuiting very well. Overload protection does not work. I want to know if there is any way to use both?

Silvio

Hi I do not think you can use both. It will be either short circuit protection and the power supply will stop. You have to switch off and wait for the bulk capacitor to discharge then switch on again for reset. It will be better if you use a current transformer for short circuit protection. If you used my pcb then you have space for it. See attached fig below

current trafo 700w.JPG

EE42 transformer I dont think is large enough for 1000w. There are two types of EE42 one is 42/21/15 and the other 42/21/20. The first one has a maximum power of just over 1000w at 65kHz and the thicker one is just 1300w. You are a little bit limited here as the cores are very close to the wanted power and they may saturate. I suggest you will use ETD49 core which is more suitable for this power

The first prototype of my smps uses a current limiter. This also create a soft start for the secondary capacitors to charge up. Unfortunately it does not work for short circuit. The IR2153 does not have soft start and there need to be another way to charge up the secondary capacitors and even to cater for when starting the smps on load

The IR2153 may not have enough drive current to switch IRFP460 (only 180mA) and at least you will need some kind of arrangement to boost up the drive and discharge current. You will need at least 1 to 1.5 amps to drive IRFP460 properly. Do not be fooled if it works on light load as when it comes to heavy current the fets will need a good drive and if they dont find it they may heat up and explode.

You will also need a better auxiliary current and also a better start up circuit. The way this circuit is configured is not suitable for more power. I guess you will be better off making Ludo's version for 1000w

Last edited:

xuantunt

Disabled
Thank you for the quick reply. Maybe I need to develop version over 2kw at another prototype. With your prototype I used electronic load to test over 1200W within minutes.

Silvio

Thank you for the quick reply. Maybe I need to develop version over 2kw at another prototype. With your prototype I used electronic load to test over 1200W within minutes.

Be careful when using electronic load as no matter how much the voltage drops the load stays the same.

If you want to build a 1000w smps then there is mine and also ludo's. This power supply has been built by a lot of DIY ers and it proves it works well. My smps can work 900w continuous and 1200w peak. It is now fitted in a 1000w amplifier.

xuantunt

Disabled
Help me fix this problem. Since I designed the buffer for 2153 with BD140, I have lost the anti-convolution function before powering. I tested it several times by giving it a short delay and then powering, FET or some other components will explode after 1-2s. Short-circuiting after power supply is still working normally. It took me more than 2 days but I didn't find a reason to fix it. If you know how to ask or help me know why and how to make it work normally. Thank you very much
3.JPG

Silvio

Well that is your problem my 550w smps with 700w peak is not meant to work for a 1000w. The whole set up has to be different. My smps was tailor made and I spent many hours trying to perfect it to work correctly. I post here for personal use and not for making profit. Well I am sure you will find a way of making it work.

Xuantunt.JPG

xuantunt

Disabled
I'm quite surprised when you find that product. It took me a long time to redraw according to your principles, I distributed it in my country. Does that bother you?

Last edited:

rinchz

Very well Sam if you have already a bit of experience then this will help you a lot. Ludo's design is more strait forward and please look for the latest version on his tread. That power supply has been built by many diyers and it proved it works.

Regarding the core it is best to choose one with a known material as the number of turns will vary according to the material of the core used. With this you can take the best efficiency out of your smps.

Be careful on what types of chips and mosfets you buy especially from China as some of them will be fakes. A lesson I have learned myself. For example buying an sg3525 that works well with 12v supply but as the voltage goes beyond the output waveform starts to skew and deform. Other mishaps are mosfets cannot withstand the rated load and blow off at half the specified current. Take care and buy genuine parts from a known manufacturer.

I suggest that you take a while and read the blog posts of transformer winding practices for smps and making litz wire at home. There are other blogs that you can learn from and find them useful.

I will help you along with any difficulties you may come by, till then

Good luck

Regards Silvio

hi sir i have made this from your design there might be small changes based on my parts available, i had it with 50vdc rails using most parts from ATX psu. i do not expect high efficiency due to the parts i made and this is just for fun. i am powering my 2x100W amplifier. but i have some situation every time i shut it down/turn off the SMPS cannot be turned on again immediately and the protect led will turn on. the result was i cannot use it back again for several minutes (10-20minutes) just to discharge the caps before it will turn on again. by the way it was 2x680uf in main and 2x100k1w resistors,

thank you
sam 60719070_2133842980003768_4848738461928128512_n.jpg