DIY DAC + CD Player Project

I have just received CS8416 SPDIF receivers as well as TDA1543 DAC and CS49XX delta sigma DACS. I am planning to build the following System structure.JPG.

I have built an adapter board for the CS8416 and tested it in hardware mode but i was unable to get the I2S clock running though i got the signals for LRCK and SDATA. I am going to use it in software mode to see how it works out.
Once the DAC is ready i will go for the power supplies and the remaining controls. Anybody embarked in such a project before?

I did a few test with the CS8416 december last year thought it would be good to post some intitial testing results here. The test was with an "electrical" SPDIF input from a sound card. Surprise everything is optical nowadays but you can still solder under the optical connector to get the signal.

Second thing the CS8416 works with a mere 300mV input. It can work in two modes hardware and software. I went for I2S output format. In case you are wondering what I2S is here is a description: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/BreakoutBoards/I2SBUS.pdf but i was missing the regenerated clock. Went to software mode based on a 16F628A with software SPI no signal at all.

I have to re-assemble the circuit board on project board and give it another try.

I am still going on with this project, going back to datasheet and reading over all the info I had. From the success I had with the PGA2311 pre-amp prototype(though it still needs tweaking) I will re-sue some of my code to send data to the CS8416 in SPI mode.

CS8416 bit clock not recovered

Hi and merry xmas to everyone. In case anyone can help I have built a circuit board for the CS8416 and successfully obtained the Word select and Serial Data out of the CS8416.However my Bit clock signal (pin 27) is hanging at 3.3V. This is the schematic I am using CS8416.jpg. Did anyone run into this issue? Thanks

I fixed my issue it seems normal for that signal to have a high offset like it does. It was my DAC TDA1543 used with resistor I/V that had a too low resistor. I fixed it with a 10K resistor. I have connected the DAC to a lot of sources with SPDIF : pc/cd player/ digital satellite receiver the sound is pretty nice for a CS8416 + a single TDA1543 ic. I think that it comes from TDA1543 not being a delta sigma dac and more a resistive switching DAC. With a single ic it does not heat up at all when working at +5V. I will post the DAC schematic soon.

I took another direction with this and started making a USB DAC AKA sound card. I did a quick dirty try with a PCM2704 and in mind the idea to send the I2S to the CS8416. I dunno if I fried the PCM2704 or damaged it I am going to give it another try with a PCM2707 I have lying around