Dx Blame MKIII - Builder's thread

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
I am starting to produce some videos about components..some tips and tricks

that may be a helping hand.

regards,

Carlos[video=youtube;krqhB3Cz0Z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqhB3Cz0Z8[/video]

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
Prepare yourself for strong emotions

[video=youtube;8dcfygsIpkg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcfygsIpkg[/video]

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
Here you have how to measure your output RMS power using cheap instruments

We cannot send 1 kilowatt to speakers as they gonna melt...better to use dummy load and install this arrangement suggested in the video attached.

Using cheap (yellow chinese) multimeters, a couple of resistors, a small speaker and an audio generator or a small AC transformer, you can have your power measured in a easy way.[video=youtube;vRo6raKEMUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRo6raKEMUA[/video]

regards,

Carlos

thiago alves

a causa foi, o transformador!!!(the cause was, the transformer !and posted in the wrong place!
moderation avontade be to delete my post)
!!!
flow !

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
Uncle Charlie....my Blame is not working properly

regards,

Carlos[video=youtube;FXeWVbIwgwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXeWVbIwgwI[/video]

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
Adjust of iddle current ... the stand by current ... measuring voltage drop

into the resistors you have connected into the power transistor emitters.

regards,

Carlos[video=youtube;vgaI1m8D8fc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgaI1m8D8fc[/video]

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
Be aware you have a high power amplifier...i have smoked a voice coil today

I was using my 150 watts Philips speaker and i have increased volume too much...power gonne to 600 watts RMS and my speaker start to smell bad.... speake's voice coil resistance dropped to 2.9 ohms because of that.

So..... take care of your speakers...use high power driver units or do not increase too much your volume the way i did.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Power 2 specification.jpg
    Power 2 specification.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Power specifications 1.jpg
    Power specifications 1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Second speaker burned, this time was the MKIII Hx.jpg
    Second speaker burned, this time was the MKIII Hx.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

meanman64

Is there any interest in a SMPS for the MKIII HX?Let me know maybe I run a groupsbuy for it.It's possible to design one myself with the help of a forum friend or buy one at Conexelectronics.If I buy 10 pieces of them we get a discount between 10-15%.This one I've in mind.

Attachments

• SMPS2000R.jpg
    SMPS2000R.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 76

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any interest in a SMPS for the MKIII HX?Let me know maybe I run a groupsbuy for it.It's possible to design one myself with the help of a forum friend or buy one at Conexelectronics.If I buy 10 pieces of them we get a discount between 10-15%.This one I've in mind.

Unless they prove to you with videos the below points, Or dont buy it.

Thats my personal advice !!!:

1- Short circuit protection
2- Under voltage Protection
3- Over voltage Protection
4- Over Tempreture Protection
5- Ripple at output of SMPS, show on Oscilloscope ( as this will cause noise at amplifier output) Carlos knows exactly what I mean
6- Voltage Drop at specified load by them
7- Is it possible for this SMPS to face 10000uF per rail at start up or it will shutdown? thinking its a short circuit?

Good luck for All

meanman64

Sami, thanks for your advice.I did take a closer look at Ludos design and quess what it has almost the same layout .Sami, if you want we could start with what we've talked about over Skype

thiago alves

when the amplifier is working with and giving a power surge, the switching power supply will not go into protection and shut down everything?

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
SMPS unit, the supply, was not tested together Dx amplifiers

So, for a while is not suggested, not appointed and have no support till i have the change to test it.

SMPS supplies use to enter protect mode when we have surge of current.. some of them produces noises that can be captured and amplified messing with our sonics, some of them cannot withstand with more than 10000uf to each rail in the output, and this is needed to provide low impedance flow of electrons in order to provide you fast energy for peaks... some SMPS supplies are not fast enough to follow modern audio amplifiers, in order to correct output voltage... some of them if face 30 thousand microfarads each rail understand the surge of current when you switch power one as a short circuit and enters in protection mode and shut down.

Sadly i will have to dismount my prototype to save some needed parts that finished in my stock.... i am needing 2N5551

regards,

Carlos[video=youtube;2TQyL1YHKSU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TQyL1YHKSU[/video]

Last edited:

thiago alves

SMPS amplifier sources undoubtedly grow lighter in terms of transport. I do not think most overwritten the good old transformer! Do not know if and lack of knowledge or taste of older stuff!

flow !

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
How to wire the input potentiometer.... the volume potentiometer

Como ligar o potenciômetro de volume no seu MKIII Hx.

Here you have it

regards,

Carlos[video=youtube;BDLNk7q81TA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLNk7q81TA[/video]

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
Dx Corporation, the audiophile Union - 51 years of audio activity

regards,

Carlos[video=youtube;BqSnH8fF1vY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqSnH8fF1vY&NR=1[/video]

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
Boards assembled from another forum...the same amplifier made in other forum

here you have some pics.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• PICT0003-4.jpg
    PICT0003-4.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT0028-2.jpg
    PICT0028-2.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 92
  • PICT0004-4.jpg
    PICT0004-4.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 67

efragnani

For those who live in Brazil: The company Hortrafos, SP, gave me today the price of 46-0-46 600VA toroidal transformer and I think to be interesting to share with you: R$ 115.00 + shipping. I thought I would spend far more.

Greetings.
Everton.

Para os que moram no brasil: A empresa Hortrafos, de SP, me passou o preço do trafo toroidal 46-0-46 600VA e eu achei interessante compartilhar com vocês: R$115,00 + frete. Pensei que iria gastar bem mais, portanto fica a dica. ( Ps.: não sou revendedor deles e nem ganho comissão ;) ... rsrrsrs )

Saudações.
Everton.

Lira

You are planning to use two transformers? because 600VA is for only one channel if you are planning to use 4 ohms.

Você está planejando usar dois transformadores? porque 600VA é para apenas um canal, se você estiver planejando usar 4 ohms.

Um abraço!

destroyer x

Compulsive builder
He can use even smaller transformer.

65 percent of transformer power will be transformed or obtained as audio..... people can even use a 200 watts transformer if they do not want power.... they will have 60 per channel and will be playing with their amplifier....this way the guy can even produce short circuits in the output wires to have fun watching audio sparks without burn 10 huge power transistors.

Chart shows power to each case, or to several distortion levels...having a 200 watts transformer, so, playing 60 watts each channel, you will have very low distortion too.

Select your transformer to match your speaker coil, to avoid to have speakers destroyed...so, people do not need to use full power that can reach more than kilowatt if they have 200 watts speaker.

This way, the selection of transformer power can match your needs, can save some money related the transformer cost and also you can reduce the cost to output transistors if you will not use big power.

This amplifier, unlike many others, can operate from 4.5 plus 4.5 volts till 70 plus 70 volts...and the power in the output terminals can go from a couple of watts to more than a kilowatt...a very flexible unit you have.

Enjoy folks...i have worked as an animal to make a nice thing to your enjoyment.... it is time to enjoy folks!

Very few amplifiers in this world can match or beat this unit you are building...and the price of these units can go above 10 thousand dollars.... and this not only because audio quality, but also because (mainly) of power, as amplifiers are sold with power as a reference to the price.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited: