How does this overpower/short circuit protection circuit works?

delta67

Hi all,
All is in the title, I've joint the schematic.
How to implement short circuit protection if the driving transformer have no extra winding for this function (only 3 pins in input) and without using pins 15 and 16 of the IC?
Many thanks

Attachments

• overpower.JPG
    overpower.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 94

Easyamp

It looks like it is using flux imbalance or leakage to detect an over-current condition that energizes a733 which in turn kicks on c945 latching up the two transistors and lifting pin 4 above maximum dtc voltage?

delta67

.... lifting pin 4 above maximum dtc voltage?
Yes, the goal is to pull pin 4 up. But how ?
What is the roles of diode and capacitor in the base of a733?
When there's a short circuit the voltage at the capacitor increases or decreases?
Why we don't invert the diode and connect it's cathode to the base of the npn transistor c945?

Silvio

Maybe you can opt for a current transformer in the center of the half bridge, Then feed the rectified output of the current trafo to control the pulse width via the soft start pin. This will become a current fold back control. One other option is to use the over current opamp on the TL494 to control the output current via a sense resistor on the output. I do not see any particular reason why not using it. What about output voltage regulation using pin 1 and 2? What kind of PSU are you making after all?

delta67

1- you can opt for a current transformer
2- use the over current opamp on the TL494
3- What kind of PSU are you making after all?

1- I want the simplest solution.
2- you mean pins 15 and 16?
3- I'm moding a PC ATX PS to get regulated voltage using pins 1 and 2 and constant current using pins 15 and 16 and a sense resistor.
Because of the constant current option we don't need a short circuit protection, but I want to add this function in case of a short in the sense resistor, who knows !
How to check if the short circuit protection is working without burning the power supply?

Easyamp

You could build a simple latch and monitor the current on the primary ground return(s)
any transistors should work, although some tweaking maybe required.

latch.jpg

delta67

Follow this circuit it works I tried it you will have variable voltage and variable current. You can make fixed resistors instead of pots if you do not want it variable. Just omit the 4.7uf cap tied to pin 3
View attachment 6268

you can also follow this link http://320volt.com/en/akim-voltaj-ayarli-atx-smps-guc-kaynagi-modifiye/

You could build a simple latch and monitor the current on the primary ground return(s)
any transistors should work, although some tweaking maybe required.

View attachment 6269

OK thanks a lot for the link and the circuits.
I've already do the mods as shown in 320V circuit and it works, but if I fix the current for a given load and change to other one the current change a little !!

Silvio

by how much does it changes? It could be that the sense resistor is getting hot and changing value. What current limit do you need?

Silvio

Your lowest current adjustment will be 100mA or 0.1 amp you cannot go to zero

Well 100ma that variation is nothing compared to the full range. You must have a 10watt resistor of 0.06 ohms otherwise you can opt for 2 X 0.1 ohm by 5watt resistors in parallel but this gives a different value and the range will step up to say 12 or 13 amp. To cure that you must change the resistors for the 0.6v reference and make them to get 0.5v reference instead. Do not forget that the lower the value of the sense resistor the resolution for the current sense will worsen. If for example you opt for a 0.1 ohm then your reference has to be 1v. This will give better resolution and current sense will be more accurate. Yet again you then have more dissipation in the sense resistor and because of that you have to make a larger wattage resistor.

The wattage in the resistor is calculated by ohms law hence 10 amps X 0.06 ohms = 0.6volts then power of resistor will be 0.6volts X 10amps which will give a power of 6 watts hence a 10watt resistor will be suitable.

If for example we opt for 1volt reference and a sense resistor of 0,1 ohm is chosen then the power dissipation in the resistor will be 1v X 10 amps =10 watts yet again a 20 watt resistor must be chosen other wise it will heat up and change value.

A compromise have to be set according to your need either the lower value but not so accurate or the higher value will be more accurate but need a larger watt sense resistor.

One last comment I suggest you use a 10 turn pot for adjustment of voltage and current

Hope that helps

Last edited:

delta67

Many THANKS silivio for the hints.
My sense resistor is a homemade one with a piece of wire from a 2 Ohms 10W wound resistor.