IR2153 Blows UP!

Hi.
I have built this SMPS that is designed by Yamaha with exact same components except for the IGBTs.
At first I have tried to use IFRP450 but after 5 seconds of operation IR2153 burnt out.
So I replaced them with IRF740 and this time my SMPS worked properly.
Since I had a pair of 2SK4106 I decided to give them a try but it resulted in another failure and IR2153 burnt out 5-7 seconds after power on!
My question is what could be possibly the problem? I am not an expert so I did not end up with a solution after studying the datasheets of these 3 components.
I appreciate any help from the professionals which can lead me to understand the physics behind this phenomena.
Thank you in advance.
Yamaha EMX500 Mixer SMPS.jpg

Silvio

Hi Kooroshi60, I do not know if you are using the protection circuit below the main circuit of the IR2153. Apart from the protection side the circuit is quite strait forward. All I can see is an IR2153 with a current amplifier made of totem pole transistors.

The 2153 will burn with these things I am going to mention.

1) Excessive output current from pins 5 and 7. Check the gain of the totem pole transistors. You did not mention them blown every time the IR blows. You can use BD139/40 instead. D120/1 can use 1n4148 instead.

2) Supply rail over 15v this could burn the internal zener. I would put a diode in the output of the 15v regulator, this will drop the voltage a little going to the IR2153 just to be on the safe side. (I know that R106 is protecting against this.)

3) Considering that with IRF740 the smps worked it could be that these where not pulling much current through the gate.

4) Make sure that the IR2153 that you are using is a good quality one. Test it out on the bread board first to see that it has a good waveform on both outputs.

5) Make sure you have all your wiring correct and no mistakes check it carefully.

6) I am assuming that the collector of Q105 and pin 4 of the IR are going to the high voltage ground and not somewhere else. (Schematic diagram not fully visible)

7) Compare the total gate charge of the original IGBTs with the Mosfet or IGBT you are using and adjust the gate resistor accordingly. It is important that you drive the gate hard without exceeding the current of the totem pole transistors.
Using IRF450 or IRF460 mosfets a 10 ohm gate resistor is more suitable. IGBTs on the other hand tend to be more sensitive and have lower gate charge hence the 33 ohm gate resistor.

Lastly my guess is that the blow up is happening in the reverse of what you said and first blows the switching transistors then the totem pole and lastly the IR2153. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD WAVE FORM COMING OUT OF THE IR2153. I had quite an experience with my first smps with defective chips bought from EBay or Aliexpress. I had no oscilloscope and could not see it.
Do not forget to put a series 100w lamp with the smps AC supply rail for current limiting. When all is good and stable remove it.

I hope this helps you resolve your problem. Regards Silvio

Silvio

@ Norazmi. Welcome back we need people like you to help out with the members of DIY SMPS.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
thanks Silvio, thats ok of course we do DIY some get an error if you too rush not checking carefully before turn it on, and remember always connect with bulb with first power test, for IRFP460 u need to see change of gate resistor, ive ordered 10pcs pcb of ir2153 smps i have few models low power and high power, seems like ir2153 is simple to build and minimum component used. but to go over 500w i would suggest use ir2110 version. Anyways we`ve archive so many success in diysmps, ive very busy before with work but now i have more free time and im thinking to go madness again with DIY :D . ive made simple smps ir2153 will post the pcb when its arrived.

Thank you so much Silvio.
What you said about defective chips was exactly correct. The problem was the fake Chinese chips.
The fake Chinese chips have laser engraved marking. But the original IR 2153 is marked with white color ink.

I bought some original IR smd chips and now it works rock solid.
And following your suggestion I used 10R resistors at the gate of IRFP450 instead of 33R.

What was happening was like this:
As I mentioned before I experienced the following failure only when I used IRFP450
I have a 60W lamp in series with the mains input; When I switched on the circuit I can see the lamp turns on for a second when capacitors charge and then goes off like normal.
Meanwhile I monitor the output voltage which takes around 4 seconds to reach it's nominal level while output caps charge up. 140V in my case (+/- 70 volts)
But suddenly I hear a small pop sound followed by smoke from the chip.
During this, the current amplifier transistors and MOSFETs remain intact and circuit goes off.

Thank you again for your comprehensive explanation and of course your attention.
Ciao!

res_smps

The problem was the fake Chinese chips.
The fake Chinese chips have laser engraved marking. But the original IR 2153 is marked with white color ink.

I bought some original IR smd chips and now it works rock solid.

oh same problem here, too many fake chips

for softstart I usually use 47 to 100 ohm 10W resistor bypassed by relay

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Fake parts are serious problem indeed, buying from unknown seller over aliexpress will usually get you fake chips.

You should only buy from trusted sellers.

Good to hear that you have solved it.

You guys are wonderful. Thank you all for your help.
I used this SMPS for a solid state audio amplifier and it works really well.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
thanks silvio long time no see bro, ir2153 ur using having regulated is bad idea, ir2153 is not design for regulated supply. i have made many ir2153 and i did not blow the mosfet yet. ill post some picture soon of my new build of smps to pull 2xirs2092 amp .