IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
the answer is easy, run at 100 Khz freq, and use more powerfull mosfet such as irfp460 and use big trafo core, such as ETD49 and above. while do primary and secondary winding avoid to use single cable even its big, and use parallel coil awg24 to awg29. Good and fast diode at output, 15 amp diode at 110 or 220 vac, 2000uf x 2 or x4 caps at high rails and auxiliary for the ir2153 u need to use external transformer to supply enough current and stable at high power or when u push smps to peak.

Bettecher

Norazmi, I going to use a toróide core with Ae = 3,06 cm^2 running around 80Khz.
The goal for the project is reduce the cost and use easy to find components.
I’ll need at least 1,5kw smps, that’s why I’m thinking to use in full bridge mode.
I know what to do but I always try to find the easy way.
That’s because I’m here in order to share some info
before to go to the bench. Really thanks for your attention.

Bettecher

Norazmi, I have over 30 years of experience in electronics.
I have ordered the cores this week, maybe the next week I’ll start to play.
When I finished the project, I’ll try to post here. The things here in Brazil are not easy, especially when you need some parts. Is hard to find ordinary components and takes a long time waiting to come from the mail service and believe or not, are also very expensive. Thank you.

renotrend

hi norazmi , what load suitable for test smps , my smps ir2153 using irfp460 ,frq are 71khz, transformer etd 49 primar 2 x 11 turns 0,5mm x 5 ,seconder 2x 8 turns 0,5mm x 5 .

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
renotrend, if u have high power resistor will do, or u can use hi power bulb such as 200-500 watts rated. there r many way to test em, or u can drive power amp with low bass freq see if ur supply hickup or not. If not enouh aux supply 12v to IR2153 u can hear some voice from it and seems IR2153 try to shutdown the pwm. If u wanna go for hi-power please use external aux supply for IR2153 and more caps bank at input (220 vac or 110 vac).

renotrend

renotrend, if u have high power resistor will do, or u can use hi power bulb such as 200-500 watts rated. there r many way to test em, or u can drive power amp with low bass freq see if ur supply hickup or not. If not enouh aux supply 12v to IR2153 u can hear some voice from it and seems IR2153 try to shutdown the pwm. If u wanna go for hi-power please use external aux supply for IR2153 and more caps bank at input (220 vac or 110 vac).

ok , thanks Norazmi , you have circuit protect for this smps ? can you share to me

thanks,
reno

vorezky04

Where circuit protection norazmi?
Can you post it with schematic. I wan"t make only short circuit in my smps TL494 from you

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
the TL494 is not include short circuit protection yet... there will be additional component to archive it. But with IR2153 will more easy to build because IR2153 can drive mosfet directly without driver transformer like TL494.

renotrend

hi norazmi , i want make SMPS +/- 80V per rail (160v 20A) 3200watt .can you give me refrensi pls ?
i have transformator ETD49 ,ic sg3525 and ir2110

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
lol... EDT49 cant go 3.2kw.. u really need edt59 or running it with full bridge. For such as power u may refer to Microsim design as he already archive high power smps. He may guide you to make it . I`ll try to make reference for you later maybe tonite.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
3.2KW is a high power design, witch needs special parts, Proper transformer design.

However, 3200W SMPS without PFC can be made, you can check DJLeco SMPS, reached 5KW without PFC. using ETD59

Regards

renotrend

3.2KW is a high power design, witch needs special parts, Proper transformer design.

However, 3200W SMPS without PFC can be made, you can check DJLeco SMPS, reached 5KW without PFC. using ETD59

Regards

MICROSIM thanks, I've seen djleco, but no information, just a test video.

By the way, I have designed SMPS previous work (design-ir2153 Ludo). I apologize for not been able to show the details. maybe later I'll show

renotrend

Regards

MICROSIM thanks, I've seen djleco, but no information, just a test video.

By the way, I have designed SMPS previous work (design-ir2153 Ludo). I apologize for not been able to show the details. maybe later I'll show

Bettecher

Hi Norazmi,

After to collect some diagrams from the internet, I decided to start to play with the IR2153 and IRF740. Well, I had lots of problem to put the circuit to work without blow up the mosfets even without load. The main problem was to design a decent and stable soft start circuit, especially when you use big caps on the output filter. The protection circuit was not difficult to put to work. That’s my conclusion : This is a cheaper solution but not the best, if by compared with a regular smps. Now the circuit is working fine, but I don’t trust too much! What do you think about it?

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
i dont know what u mean by the best, there is no the best but working with high freq we need to watch the efficiency how much power it can provide. Why we need to put big caps at output with smps, its not needed and its only for linear supply to put big caps. everything in the world have the weakness and we cant avoid it 100%. ur smps blown up at start up with big caps at output because they feed with inrush current at startup u can use relay or something to stablelize it first at initial startup after that, relay will contact with big caps bank at output i think it should be ok.

Btw for initial start with smps, its good to start with ir2153 and irf740, they r cheap and easy to make for medium power range. With good calculation and winding of trafo, will provide good power supply to feed ur amp or else. Its good to learn and of course we need to sacrifice something and after success with few tries u will happy with it :D

Bettecher what u gonna to feed with 3.2kw smps? power amp?

Bettecher

Norazmi,

You’re right, the efficiency and the cost is the key for any smps.
Of course I know we don’t need big caps at the filter, but when you feed a power amp. we need a extra peak current. I’m talking about 5000 uF total, 2500 each rail. Sure it will produce more inrush current at the start up. My circuit already have a NTC and also a relay at the ac input but still need a good soft start circuit. See my solution below. By using that circuit, I didn’t have any problems at all. By the way a 1kW smps is enough for me! Norazmi, I’m here just to share my experiences and your comments are always welcome.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Softstart.BMP
    404.8 KB · Views: 1,441

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
nice, did u use external aux supply for ir2153? i think if u want go more than 600w its better to have ext aux supply or ir2153 will hickup at peak. 1KW of power is good choice if we need more current seperate with two smps and more safe then smps also more stable. also make relay to short the NTC after few secs of startup.