IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Friends Good Afternoon!

I followed the 40 pages of this forum and I could see that all employees are very helpful.

This is my first post.

I have some SMPS made with ir2153 but none has protection! What causes me great problems. Blast several mosfets for my carelessness to clean my workbench.

Then I found this forum. But several people have posted many models of SMPS and as my English is not so good (I'm from Brazil) I was lost in which model I can trust to do my final SMPS with short circuit protections and over-current.

I know a bit of electronics but do not know how you develop.

So if they can send the complete electric scheme and PDF files for me to do my own SMPS I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks to everyone who helped here.

GREETINGS
JC

there is a member in this thread who made a successful model of the SMPS with protection, you can look at norazmi posts, they used a thyristor to trigger the IR shutdown.

jchspb

Thanks Microsim !

And how about the project of KX36 ? I saw a video of him! That works ! What do you think about?

jchspb

KX36
Thanks for response !! I will try to match the snubbers at secondary winding. I do not have inductors after diodes.

The over load protection test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedNDHRhi_8&feature=youtu.be

Sorry that I was so quiet but I got pants full of **** while doing this test :p
Next time I will speak a bit.
The SMPS survives short circuit at secondary winding and start up with short circuit.
The load is 8R resistor at 45V secondary winding, the fuse in SMPS is 1A slow and is not blowing even under load.
I like to work with IR2153 too, it is very simple.
RESET --> disconnect from mains for 15-20s and done.

This one too

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
This is the correct video

[video=youtube;vedNDHRhi_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vedNDHRhi_8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That member who made it fully working, cant remember his nick

he used a thyristor to trigger the IR2153

koyane

I'd like to assemble the original schema of norazmi.

I'v a trafo, TDK EI40 core. Here's the spec of its.

Would you Please help me, good turns for the trafo, Pri and Sec. I want to get 200 volts DC in secondary out.

TDK_EI40_DATA1.jpg

koyane

I've tested ir2153 smps with toroidal core trafo I made temporary to find out the point to get higher voltage.
I made several tabs at every turn of Pri. Pri. has 24 turns, sec. has 10 turns.

And in this toroidal core, I got 1 volt DC in Pri 6 th turns. At another turns, I got lower volt than 6 th.
I want 200 VDC. It's horrible. Must I wind 1200 turns ?
What's wrong in this stuff !

Please, anyone else whoever read this, pick me up in this ditch. please, please.
ir2153_test2.jpg

Last edited:

expressel

The most significant thing with a half bridge circuit though is that the lower transistor is only conducting every other cycle, so a sense resistor on the source pin of this as in your schematic will not measure the current on the other cycle, therefore a current transformer is the only real option.

No, you can sense the current at the upside too. You need 1 more sense resistor at the up side and another transistor, PNP in this case.
Im thinking of joining the collectors and biasing both Qs to half the supply voltage. Add a comparator to compare the output with half the supply divider and you are ready.

Last edited:

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
i know some having problem with high voltage at output when using ir2153 because this chip dont have softstart, but we can solved it by make softstart circuit directly from 220 vac using few components and relay, ill post new picture soon, i have made new one but this time im ordering pcb lol from jlcpcb because its cheap, and i solved the peak startup of ir2153 and its running very smooth and smart, btw its 50% all the time duty cycle, if we want external aux we can use simple tny chip ie tny264 can maxed up to 300ma for 12vdc or we can get more current with tny268 with same circuit just change the chip, this chip has internal protection, overvoltage, overcurrent, short circuit, over temp, and i already terstg it ofc none of my tny burn and its very simple circuit also, so when i do this post means all thing has been ready setup and complete but i still have alot of pcb board because 1 order i get 10pcs, so i do setup with irs2153 v.out +- 67 vdc to pull 2 irs2092 rated at 250w 8 ohm, and irs2153 v.out 27vdc to pull tpa311d62 100w+100w, so all of them good with softstart, ill take picture and video soon here.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
2 ir2153 smps, 1 running on btl tpa3116 d2 120w + 120w at 27vdc 20 amp, another one running +- 67vdc 15 amp, with softstart and protection, nothing to worried and its running hard :D.

[video]http://stg01.gcmaster.club/azmi/a.mp4[/video]

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
clear pic inside.

[video=youtube;tvZ9q53Cz-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvZ9q53Cz-A&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;LcaIw1bXwdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcaIw1bXwdc&feature=youtu.be[/video]