IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Hello today i`m build new smps with ir2153, this schematic and pcb files are from forosdeelectronica and credits go to mniclauo. This smps was up and running but i have little problem when im feed it with high load. smps details, 2 x irf740, ir2153, run freq is 100khz, protection use current sense trafo, 4x 1n4148 + mcr100, output voltage +43.5 and -43.4, output diode mur420 x4, output inductor 25+25 laps awg 18.

Today im testing this smps with 200wrms discrete class D and solidstate with 8 output transistor (4 x 2SA1302 + 4 x 3281). testing result:

1. with class D amp play loud at max, mosfet irf540 and 9540 only warm about 38 Celsius with psu heatsink. irf740 remain cool just warm a little, 220v bridge rectifier heat raise, ntc heat raise, main trafo about 45 Celsius , mur420 heat raise, output inductor warm.

2. with solid state amp play loud at max, 4 x 2sa1302 and 4 x 2sc3281 is hot and need bigger heatsink, best if we place fan with heatsink, when play normal about half volume temp is stable. irf740 remain cool just warm a little, 220v bridge rectifier heat raise, ntc heat raise, main trafo about 45 Celsius , mur420 heat raise, output inductor warm.

regarding smps output voltage, +vcc drop 40.4 and -vee increase -45.6, there is the problem. for both test class D and with solid state amp will face same problem. This smps have no feedback and its run at 50% duty cycle all the time. from what i read from the net, smps without fb no need output filter because it will hurt output voltage. so i need opinion and suggestion from you all in diysmps and microsim to solve this problem, because i dont face this situation with ir2110 with fb there is no imbalance voltage appear.

i`ll post some picture, maybe 2-3 hours more becuase now here is about 6:36am, hehehehe :D early morning and no sunrise yet. i`ll post complete include schematics and pcb like usual :D .

best regards,
Azmi.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
ops forgot the schematics and pcb files, i`ll post my own smps that i`ve build late when sunrise arrive.

enjoy :D:D

Attachments

• Configuración 01.jpg
    Configuración 01.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2,196
  • P1020513.JPG
    P1020513.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,175
  • P1020509.JPG
    P1020509.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,778
  • SMPS Half Bridge IR2153 2.0 - Esquema.pdf
    31.4 KB · Views: 5,914
  • Configuración 02.jpg
    Configuración 02.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,541
  • SMPS Half Bridge IR2153 2.0.pdf
    123.6 KB · Views: 5,087
  • Configuración  01 + Ampli.JPG
    Configuración 01 + Ampli.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,530
  • P1020507.JPG
    P1020507.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,723

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
problem solved , it was inductor. so i make new inductor with 2 t106-26 seperate on each rails, it works ok now, both rails have same voltage drop and raise is together now. I think i need to short ntc with relay and add 4 more output diode with mur420 x 8. also bridge rectifier need to change from 8A to 16A and filter caps from 2 x 330uf to 4 x 330 uf. will make new one will be more bigger than this size and with ETD49 wanna see the power can deliver.

one thing i notice after change inductor, before this i use 1 toroid t106-26 inductor for each rails wind together at one core, and i`ve got little noise coming out from solid state amp, but no noise with class D amp. After change the inductor there is no noise at all with solid state amp.

stewin

hi nozrami how many watts is the smps with irf 740 and with irfp 460 as outputs? and in your photos i havent seen the over current transformer or is it one of the t106-26

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
hi stewin, yes its t106-26, you can use any ferrite torodial core or you can simply take out EE16 core from old psu or EE19 which is suiteable for you, i`ll instruct you for the current sense trafo winding if u want to build it and its easy. the output watts is depend on your primary transformer, the large core u used then more power u will get. estimated irf740 will go 500-600 watts and irfp460 will be more maybe 1kw. to reach this we must use at least etd49 core with multi strand wire awg 22-29. :D.

for standard winding i`ve use 12 + 12 for the primary with 6 strand AWG29.
because this smps is no feedback and always run at 50% duty cycle, the output voltage estimated about 6vdc per turn.
so if we wound 6 turn with AWG29 ( i use 8 strand) we will have approx +- 36vdc at output.

for the auxiliary i use AWG24 1 strand 4 laps.
and for the +- 15vdc supply AWG24 1 strand 4 + 4 laps.

for the current sense trafo:
25 turns for each branch. are performed in parallel (both arms at once), a branch between "a" and "c", the other between "c" and "b".

regards,
Azmi.

stewin

for the current sense former what is the primary turns and does it shut down the smps in case of a short circuit at the out put voltages ? you haven't include a line filter does a radio work when the smps is on? will irfp 460 work well while switching at 100khz?

Last edited:

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Primary just 1 turn single cable across the current sense trafo, yea i dont include line filter, you can modify the pcb if u want to put it, because i want make it simple, so far i dont have any interference with radio or tvs, im putting class D amp and smps with small place together in box, both working allright with high freq and no noise so far.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
short circuit work, it will shutdown the ir2153(reset) its not only short circuit i have test today, when play hard i think maybe over the limit it can deliver power it will also shutdown lol :D

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
be careful while working with high voltage, and i hope u know the safety way to work with smps and any high voltage application. at first power on make sure u used light bulb with 220vac line :D .

Bettecher

Hi Nozrami, you sad that the IRFP460 works but please let me know if works without buffer? Just replace each other? The possible problem is the Qg of mosfets.
Thanks and nice work!

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Yes, it can work without buffer, or u can simply add buffer your choice. you can do just replace it no problem. The protection section work on both side, i`ve test it. it will also shutdown if there is something short at 220 vac supply maybe cause by something else. and at the output side will work, to push the power supply at maximum, proper 12v aux supply is needed and more caps bank at input after rectified, also u can make additional relay for the NTC, to by pass it after few second after power on.

Bettecher

Ok, really thanks for your full explanation.
I’m thinking to use two IR2153 in full bridge mode to increase the power and use two pairs of the low cost IRF740 instead of a couple IRFP460. I know it’s possible. Have you think about that? Do you know how to connect two IR2153 in bridge mode? Many thanks.

Bettecher

I Advice you to use a GDT in order to go with full bridge SMPS
Regards

Ok Microsim all comments and advices are extremely welcome, but I don’t think a GDT is necessary in my case because I have intention to connect two IR2153 each one working alone, but with the phase shifted and the transformer in between them. What do you think about? Sorry about my poor English! Hope you understand!

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
how much power actually u need bettecher? Why not make 2 smps with 1kw each? or up to 1.6kw each by using edt49 at 1oo Khz?

Bettecher

Hi Norazmi, thanks for the reply. I successfully build a 1kw smps using the IRS2110 and SG3525. Now I’m playing around the IR2153. I already have a 600w smps working based on the IR2153 and IRF730 but I want to increase the power and I don’t know what the better way is, if to continue use the IRF730 in bridge mode or replace for a pair of IRF460LC. That’s the question! Thanks for any comments.