My new custom built 10' subwoofer

Lira

Its a 10' subwoofer with a 51,60mm diameter coil made of kapton with 4+4 ohms for 200W

Later I´ll post some tests on youtube.

mkubawat

dear lira
i have blown 18" 1000 watt p audio speaker , how to make 4" coil for this speaker at home, is it possible.
thanks
m kubawat

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
@ Lira

Very nice, How do you center the coil, I mean how do you assemble it, what kind of Glue you are using?

Hope to learn from you

Thanks for sharing! :UP:

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Speakers

dear MicrosiM
Really want to learn from me, I think you're skilled in every way

I am not that skilled!

I repaired many JBL woofers + Horn Drivers + B&C + FBT + Maccaully

I had some problems with FBT, they dont center properly.

I will try to show some pictures soon

JBL is the best into service, While they are Robust speakers :D

Lira

Hi, I use the epoxy bi-component 10h (The pic is showing the 15min, but you will need the 10h, it takes longer but the results are MUCH better!, take care to leave the speaker upside down for the glue not fall on the magnetics), the tricky part is that the spider have to fit exactly the body of the coil, without any space, i use photografic film to center the coil, leaving half of the coil out and half in (the wired part), and the glue for the spider to the housing and also for the edge is the adhesive contact black (If you find you can use Loctite Black Max or simmilar).

Best Regards

Lira

Last edited:

mkubawat

hi
photographic film is not give proper centering with 15" & 18" speakers because there are more gap between pole piece & top plate so i use white plastic paper( i don't know exact word ,probably white mica paper) which is use in motor winding

Lira

dear lira
i have blown 18" 1000 watt p audio speaker , how to make 4" coil for this speaker at home, is it possible.
thanks
m kubawat

first you have to measure the height and the coil winding, then you unwind it carefully counting the number of laps and seeing how many layers you have.
Then you need aluminum film or Kapton film, a coat of varnish colorless or amber high temperature and wrap something 4 'off the excess so that it sits about 1mm free (This is when the coil to expand) .
Wrap a layer of craft paper and only one coat of varnish over the paper, wrap the floss without leaving any space between one turn and another, and after rolling, one more coat of varnish.
It is important to let the paint dry a little between one step and another, but not much, to keep the reel out of the place in shape.
After everything done, let it dry for at least 24 hours, remember, haste is the enemy of perfection!

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Lira

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Ciare

Lira

Here some pictures from speaker I will repair soon.

This speaker fails very quick, I dont like it :"::

Attachments

• 17052011491.jpg
    17052011491.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 17052011490.jpg
    17052011490.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 17052011489.jpg
    17052011489.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 17052011488.jpg
    17052011488.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 17052011487.jpg
    17052011487.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 78

Lira

Hi, I´m assembling a speaker, if you have some time, wait a little, i´ll post the pictures step by step of the whole process, from centering the coil to glue the sorround, including how do I center the coil exactly, I think it might help you repairing yours.

Best Regards

Lira

mkubawat

thanking you Lira
I try my best
can you explain about contents which is have in your glue(scotch mix) because it is not available in India.

mkubawat

thanks Lira
ya ARALDITE is available in india but rework is not possible after using araldite if we want replace only voice coil. if possible please tell me. very difficult to replace only to voice coil in branded speaker and stuff the rest is put into use again.Have any idea .....

Lira

It's a controversy, if repair this with a glue that it's not tough enough, it will fail soon, but will preserve the original parts, if you use any kind of epoxy glue, you won't be able to repair it again.

What would i do in your case: First disassemble the whole speaker an than take note of everything, the cone hardness, the voice coil (Number of turns layers, kind of wire, kind of material etc...) and try to copy, from the scratch, you will get a lot better result doing this. I tried to repair many many speakers, but the repaired speakers is not as good as the ones i use new material to repair, even the speaker has flat wire on the coil, you can use round wire, the difference is not that big, considering you repairing and old coil versus a new one. If the original coil is made of aluminum, you can change to Kapton or fiber and have a more eficient speaker.

In any of cases you will have to re-measure the Thielle-Small parameters to ensure all the parameters of the speaker.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Lira

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Lira.

JBL Used the special flat wires, they used the flat wire coils in all of there professional speakers.

Once there is a cut into that it will be impossible to solder it.

JBL is robust speakers indeed.

Lira

Lira.

JBL Used the special flat wires, they used the flat wire coils in all of there professional speakers.

Once there is a cut into that it will be impossible to solder it.

JBL is robust speakers indeed.

I know, if you can use it, if it is in good conditions, you must use it. I was saying about, because there is some cases that the coil is deformed or old(with not correct impedance), in that case, you can try using it, but if it keeps blowing i sugest rebuild everything! Perhaps i didn't understand de problem well, sorry.
I have some speakers to repair, they use flat aluminum coil, very hard to solder, i didn't repaired already because of that problems.

My idea was to try to copy the coil in round wire to use-it in case of unrepairable original coil.

Thanks

Last edited:

Lira

Lira

Here some pictures from speaker I will repair soon.

This speaker fails very quick, I dont like it :"::

I centered one woofer today succesfully using about 4 layes of OhP transparency paper, the only difficulty part was to remove the OhP paper from the coil, because it was too tight. But the speaker is now on pink noise for 72 hours. I,ll edit e videos and the pictures and post here soon.

Thanks for the attention! :D