Please, take a look at this TL494 power supply, is everything OK?

OhMy

Hello!

It happened, that I once bought 10 TL494 chips, hoping one day to make some SMPS. But unfortunately I'm unable to find a trustworthy schematic for it. The biggest problem is to find a circuit for a gate drive transformer part. So many variations, but almost none for driving mosfets.
After looking through some hundred circuits and getting more and more confused I took these two for samples: AC-DC converter SG3525 Full Bridge.jpg not sure, but most likely from this site; and 15-48V SMPS Full.GIF from here.
So I tried to combine them together, and this is the result: SMPS_494.GIF.

Please, share your thoughts, criticism and suggestions about my creation.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Your combined schematic should just work fine, Its impossible for any one to know if it will work 100% or not, but all seems OK to me, specially the 15-48V 16A design, because its 100% working design.

And to make things clear, HYPEX uses almost the same techniques + TL494 in there SMPS. very close to the circuits you have just shown.

So I think it would be a good idea to start your testings, and you will discover everything you are looking for.

Regards

OhMy

OK, Microsim, thank you for the replay.
I actually already made a PCB for the combined circuit SMPS_494_PCB.GIF, but it doesn't work- the 494 doesn't even want to oscillate. Could it be something to do with the open inputs of the second internal comparator (pins 15 + 16)?

P.S. Some posts got lost somewhere wiz:;...

Last edited:

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
See below circuit, and compare with it, this is used for an unregulated SMPS, so at lease it will guide you to know whats going on

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg