Simple smps for 100W audio amplifier needed.

mayster

At the beginning I want to say hello to everybody :)

I've spent some time by reading many threads but I didn't found anything for me.
Maybe I specify what I'm looking for:

- simple smps for a 100W audio amplifier
- has a single-sided board
- can be built and run by a smps beginner ;)
- 10% stability would be very good for me
- overvoltage protection if it's not complicated
- can run on a etd39 core, like this one:
74050.jpg

Why that core ? Because I've bought one years ago and if it could be useful... :) But of course it's not critical.
It would be a great feature if I could change the output voltage only by changing the secondary winding (had not to correct the voltage output protection circuit - maybe a separate winding for this ? ).

I think it's all I need - sorry for my english and I hope you understand all this... I'm sure that You have many that kind of circuits.

Greetings :)

AndrewT

I want to follow your adventure.
But no Members seem interested. Shame, I am sure you and I could learn a lot if we got this Thread running.

Acca

At the beginning I want to say hello to everybody :)

I've spent some time by reading many threads but I didn't found anything for me.
Maybe I specify what I'm looking for:

- simple smps for a 100W audio amplifier
- has a single-sided board
- can be built and run by a smps beginner ;)
- 10% stability would be very good for me
- overvoltage protection if it's not complicated
- can run on a etd39 core, like this one:
View attachment 4233

Why that core ? Because I've bought one years ago and if it could be useful... :) But of course it's not critical.
It would be a great feature if I could change the output voltage only by changing the secondary winding (had not to correct the voltage output protection circuit - maybe a separate winding for this ? ).

I think it's all I need - sorry for my english and I hope you understand all this... I'm sure that You have many that kind of circuits.

Greetings :)

There's it:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/241478-300w-smps-amp-pc-psu.html

KX36

I may have a go at making a more "properly" designed generic SMPS for such a solid state audio system, but someone will have to give me some specs, Output voltages, output power (of the power supply rather than the amplifier) etc. I'm a valve guy. I've seen widely varying rail voltages for transistor class A/AB amps, would +/-15V be correct?

Would probably be an offline CMC Forward or push-pull converter with a switchable voltage doubler input and TL431/opto feedback. Might do a VMC half-bridge. Each of these have their own design challenges and tradeoffs.

I doubt I'll have time for any prototyping soon as I've got a lot to do at the moment (buying a house for one thing, along with needing to get the car to a garage, working 60 hours a week and a few other electronics projects), but I might be able to get up a first draft schematic fairly quickly.

Acca

For audio you can use my smps.
If you wish regulated,see AT PSU schematic and modify to your voltage.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
I may have a go at making a more "properly" designed generic SMPS for such a solid state audio system, but someone will have to give me some specs, Output voltages, output power (of the power supply rather than the amplifier) etc. I'm a valve guy. I've seen widely varying rail voltages for transistor class A/AB amps, would +/-15V be correct?

Would probably be an offline CMC Forward or push-pull converter with a switchable voltage doubler input and TL431/opto feedback. Might do a VMC half-bridge. Each of these have their own design challenges and tradeoffs.

I doubt I'll have time for any prototyping soon as I've got a lot to do at the moment (buying a house for one thing, along with needing to get the car to a garage, working 60 hours a week and a few other electronics projects), but I might be able to get up a first draft schematic fairly quickly.

That sounds good, we can work together around this, to make the first real diysmps project for the community.

I am looking for help since long time to make this project reality. a SMPS that can be built easily, and works 100% without problems

Let me know what do you think.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
As a start, I think the power supply specifications will look like

1- Unregulated, 800 ~ 1000W SMPS.

2- Output voltage to be changed by changing number of turns at the secondary side.

3- Must use simple and rugged AUX sypply circuit to feed the Oscillator and the Mosfet drivers.

4- Adding PFC will be a big +, but I dont think all DIY can get all parts for the PFC, unless we organize this as a kit, I dont know

5- Half bridge configuration is best option for this medium power SMPS.

6- Over current protection is a must.

7- Must have a Turn On Delay (Line in rush current limiting)

This is for now, hope to hear more

Regards

mayster

I Think Acca's smps that's what I need for beginning :) Not complicated, simple and cheap :)

MicrosiM - in audio i'm a little bit more experienced that in smps, my proposal is:

-unregulated ~ 300W power
- Output voltage to be changed by changing number of turns at the secondary side.
- PFC is not required, maybe we can focus on a good filter on the primary side ?
- +/-10% stability is for audio enough
- over current isn't a must, but good idea, more important is that te overvoltage protection works in 100%
- not heavy winding of the transformer(s)
- can't generate much heat - in amplifiers we have enough heat :)

Other technical details of the smps - I don't know, I'm not good at it :)

You ask - why not 1000W ? Because homemade amplifiers are most under 300W. Of course, if the 300W version will be stable, than more powerful one can be built.

Last edited:

eusebio

hola compañeros me unoa austedes para hacer este proyecto un saludo desde colombia disculpen mi ingles bueno tengo una pregunta en cuanto a esta smps podemos usar este ic UC3844 EN LAZO ABIERTO hay laguna formade calcular usando este integrado gracias

eusebio

hello fellow austedes I join to make this project a greeting from Colombia excuse my English. I have a question regarding this we can use this ic smps UC3844 there any way to calculate using this integrated thanks

eusebio

I have a core type if I'm eer5345 is used in smps lg sources and I have several ami disposal as the reference ic mosfet UC3844 Ylos, I join these fuenttes arming subject because we succeeded in designing them and so we more on the subject expereriencia greetings from Colombia