SMPS for lab use

xragon

hy , i want to mmake my own lab power supply using a smps , i want to make 2x12v 2a and 1x5v 1a on secondary. It's my first SMPS and i would like your help to make it . I searched the internet to understand how it works in general , but nothing definitive when it comes to chopper ( how to wind , what materials should i use , what formulas , how to determine secondary current , how thick the wire is going to be and so forth ) . Can you help me with some schematic close to my prefference and the to modify it ?
Also i have some questions for now :
1. Can i take a random ( close to my purpose project) schematic from the internet and wind my chopper according to my needs or should i start with the chopper and then make my final schematic ?
2.I also saw someone who used litz wire , he didnt want to tell me why he used that type of wire instead of a normal wire , after some research i found that is something related to frequency , maybe i am wrong , i am still learning.

Silvio

hy , i want to mmake my own lab power supply using a smps , i want to make 2x12v 2a and 1x5v 1a on secondary. It's my first SMPS and i would like your help to make it . I searched the internet to understand how it works in general , but nothing definitive when it comes to chopper ( how to wind , what materials should i use , what formulas , how to determine secondary current , how thick the wire is going to be and so forth ) . Can you help me with some schematic close to my prefference and the to modify it ?
Also i have some questions for now :
1. Can i take a random ( close to my purpose project) schematic from the internet and wind my chopper according to my needs or should i start with the chopper and then make my final schematic ?
2.I also saw someone who used litz wire , he didnt want to tell me why he used that type of wire instead of a normal wire , after some research i found that is something related to frequency , maybe i am wrong , i am still learning.

Hello Xragon,

I suggest that first you make a small smps that can deliver a dual voltage say 30-0-30 volts. An smps is not a strait forward job like an iron transformer and there are a lot of things that you should know before attempting to wind your own transformer for smps especially if its going to be an off line one (Powered from the mains)

Here in this website you can find some blog posts that can help you understand more how to do things, there are various subject you can read so that you learn to do things the right way for example Making litz wire at home, how to wind transformers for smps etc. You can find links to direct you to you tube so that you can understand more clearly.

I will guide you to make a simple smps without feedback and tell you what you can do to make a dual power supply with it. For the time being read the blog posts and see the video I posted so that you will take a good idea. I hope you can make your own pcbs as this is a must for making a good and safe smps.

PS please read smps warnings on the top of this page and download the file attached, You will also need a scope to see what is happening

Regards Silvio

Last edited: