Smps with IR2156

mikile

Hello,

Does anybody have some info about this controller, it is used by many manufactures in SMPS, Powersoft use them in all Digimod modules.
It looks very simple..but robust solution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171030-114039.jpg
    Screenshot_20171030-114039.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 328

blasphemy000

The IR2156 is a ballast control IC used for switch-mode control of fluorescent lighting tubes. I did some quick googling and it seems that people do use it for simple unregulated half-bridge power supplies. It does have a current sense pin that could probably be used for over-current shutdown, but this IC has no provisions for voltage feedback so it could only be used for unregulated supplies. To me it seems like there are other ICs that could do a better job in a simpler package.

-Brad

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Its cheapest solutions for the large scale manufacturers, who don't care about reliability, because they have big names in the market.

RCF, Powersoft, Digipro, dbTechnologies etc... are following the same path, even there amplifier modules are using the same design. for example the powersoft K-Series amplifiers are copy of the PKN amplifiers, or in reality its the PKN design they bought!

Hope that helps

opacheco

Hello,

Does anybody have some info about this controller, it is used by many manufactures in SMPS, Powersoft use them in all Digimod modules.
It looks very simple..but robust solution.

mikele, could you upload a better quality pic please??...I am having trouble with a PSU and I don't find any reference to this IR2156 in PSU but Ballast use only!

Thanks
Opacheco

MyFirstSMPS

mikele, could you upload a better quality pic please??...I am having trouble with a PSU and I don't find any reference to this IR2156 in PSU but Ballast use only!

Thanks
Opacheco

Do you mean this which is attached?

IR2156 is cheap solution but I in good design this chip can work well. I know some PA equipment SMPS which is much powerful than this Powersoft partial circuit added also in my attachment - hope this help you?

Like Microsim was mention - this is cheap solution and it is not very best but you can make it more better if you want and if you get better components (almost all manufacturers uses cheap semiconductors and sometimes they are pretty prone to failures)

Attachments

• IR2156 SMPS.jpg
    IR2156 SMPS.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 182

opacheco

Ir2156

Do you mean this which is attached?

IR2156 is cheap solution but I in good design this chip can work well. I know some PA equipment SMPS which is much powerful than this Powersoft partial circuit added also in my attachment - hope this help you?

Like Microsim was mention - this is cheap solution and it is not very best but you can make it more better if you want and if you get better components (almost all manufacturers uses cheap semiconductors and sometimes they are pretty prone to failures)

Dear MyFirstSMPS,

Thanks a lot for the schematics!!, it look very well and yes, this IC is used in a power amp PSU section that I am fix it right now!

Thanks again
Opacheco