vacuum tube smsp

Silvio

Have you tried winding the 64 turn in bifilar fashion? Are you using a layer of tape between each winding. Are you leaving 4mm margin space at the bobbin cheeks? I think your winding is arching and shorting out due to the high voltage.

Are you using a snubber in the primary? any spikes in the primary will be amplified in the secondary winding and the voltage here may rise more than a 1000v. If your insulation is not correct the secondary winding may arc and short out.

When trying out the transformer put a small load on the output. This will help control any excess voltage spikes generating very high voltages. Try to never start the transformer with the secondary high voltage open.

Lastly use new enameled copper wire. see that it is in good condition. Use mylar tape for insulation and not something else.

Good luck

eonscom

I did not know if I needed to put a small load on the high voltage secondary test.
I would like to adjust one more output voltage.
We expected the output voltage to change when the input voltage of PWM changed, but it did not change much
I want to know how to change the secondary voltage.

Silvio

If you are opting for regulation keep in mind that this is done in the primary winding. If you have more than one secondary than all the secondary voltages vary together. Having such a high output voltage it would be some what difficult in a way to control from the high to the low voltage as the margin of error will be quite large due to that the control voltage will be more or less 2.5v and the output being around 400v.

I guess you have to choose another winding with a lower voltage to do this. You will have to use an output inductor with the winding that is being sensed. This is important otherwise it will not regulate properly. You must also have a minimum load with the output when using regulation.

If you are expecting the output to change you must load it a little so that the excess charge on the capacitors will fall down accordingly. If you are still getting a higher voltage than needed than you have to adjust the winding turns. You can use the formula

155v / primary turns = volt per turn. Here you will be close to the wanted voltage.

Regards

eonscom

I am trying to adjust the secondary voltage.
Even in normal smps, there is VR for fine tuning
Try to vary the voltage by about 10 to 20%

eonscom

This is an OTL tube amp.
The secondary voltage is 150V, -150V.
Change this voltage.
Adjusting the voltage of the sg3525 no1 pin changes the PWM pulse width.

When the pulse width changes, the voltage must also change accordingly, but it does not change much.
I want to know how the voltage is controlled.

OTL-1.jpgOTL-2.jpgOTL-전원부.jpg

Silvio

I can see you make a nice job there. I would rather see some oscilloscope shots showing how the pulse width is changing.
The voltage is controlled by changing the pulse width. However the output must be loaded to see the voltage change. A narrow pulse will give a low voltage and a wider pulse will give higher voltage.

We like to see a schematic of your setup to see what you actually did. You can draw it up by hand and take a photo of it.

eonscom

GATE Pulse PWM control by varying width
The output voltage is almost unchanged.

Yellow is GATE PULSE
Light blue is output

Attachments

• GATE PWM CHANGE.pdf
    182.7 KB · Views: 16
  • GATE PWM CHANGE-2.pdf
    182.7 KB · Views: 14

eonscom

connect Load does not change the voltage

The voltage changes only when the waveform begins to distort

Attachments

• load 1.pdf
    481.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Silvio

The output voltage will change with a narrow pulse width if it is loaded enough. It seems that the output is still holding the peak voltage by the output capacitor. Remember that every time the transistors switch the primary winding it is always the full voltage. If the output is loaded correctly then the voltage should get lower with a narrow pulse. I hope your feedback is sensing the voltage you are measuring.

One other option for you is to increase the inductance of the output inductor if the load is very small. You can also reduce the value of the output capacitor.

PS We never saw your schematic diagram please post it if you want help as I am blind folded what you actually did.

Silvio

I see the schematic now, well there is no true feedback and the output is not sensed for voltage. You only have a means of changing the pulse width with a preset. As the load changes so does the pulse width need to change to maintain regulation of the output voltage. In your case the output is not sensed.

Regarding your circuit you said that the waveform tend to change when the voltage on the output starts going down. First of all you must check the waveform on the output of the IR2110 and not the output of the sg3525. The input of the IR2110 is logic and if the waveform on the sg3525 is disturbed a little the output waveform will still be nice and square. What is arriving at the gates is most important.

If you want to find a compromise with your circuit you must load the heater output and also mimic the plate load otherwise there will be no change in output voltage. I already told you, you must have a load on the output. Do not try without it. You can try to load with 2 or 3 bulbs of 15w/220v in series to load the output. This will load the output to around 5w to 8w. Your output inductor must be around 300uH on each leg. The windings must be one opposing the other which means one is wound clockwise and the other anticlockwise if they are on the same former. If on separate former it does not matter which way you wind them.

I hope this helps

HV smps.JPG

Last edited: