Recent content by TroelsM

1. T

LLC X-former airgap and number of windings?

Hi. This is probably a stupid question, but here we go. I'm by no means good or experienced in SMPS or LLC for that matter, so I rely on excel-calculators and formula´s found online to design my LLC transformer. Example...
  2. T

LLC transformer details

So, I've been toying a little with a LLC switchmode PSU. I got a working prototype that appears to max out at 95% eff with 230Vac in and 50V out @100W. But it appears that I've overlooked some details about the placement of the X-former windings. From what I can google it looks like that its...
  3. T

Measuring the parameters on a LLC transformer?

Hi. For an amateur LLC looks very interesting for these reasons: lower EMI and the possibility of separating the pri and sec winding. We all like low EMI and if the windings are separated on the former it becomes much easier to make a safe transformer. But LLC also makes the transformer more...
  4. T

Snubber placement in push-pull

Sorry for a maybe totally stupid question, but here goes: When building a 50-200W push-pull converter (20V in, +/-33V out), where is the snubber(s) placed? I'll be aiming for a fairly decent design with lowish leakage, but single-sided PCB and not-fancy components. I have seen the following...
  5. T

Testing old torroids for transformer use?

So, if we want to use a torroid for power-transformer in a smps, the problem is that most toroids in atx-psu's and such are meant for filtering and cannot be used for transformers, - right? A lot of the torroids I see are yellow, white and green. It does not look there is a consistent...
  6. T

Ferrite-type in "clamp-on EMC" suppressors

Hi Is the ferrite used in clamp-on inductors suitable for SMPS-transformers? like these: https://product.tdk.com/info/en/catalog/datasheets/e9a15_zcat.pdf I cannot find any datasheets that state something like Bmax for any of those. Typically those cores don´t have a very ideal shape, but I...
  7. T

Topology for 50-200W SMPS for amplifier

Hi All Intro: New user here. Limited experience with swithmode, but an EE in electronics and 10 years of electronics R&D. Know basic smps and have build class-D before. I have experience with EMC approval for electronics and I want to end up with a product that is reliable, safe and not a total...