DC Boost converter

tonigau

I am starting out to design a boost converter 24V --> 200V.
Purpose is to drive treadmill motor(180Vdc 1.2kW rating) from 24V battery supply for small lathe & mill machine at home.
In reality the power used by the machines will be in the order of 200W ~ 400W average.

Because it is for motor control only I do not need voltage feedback loop, only motor speed feedback.
So I intend to use PIC microcontroller 18F2520 with 20Khz PWM, its easy to measure motor back EMF = moltor speed.
I thaught about 2 stage DC-DC then PWM motor current but should be able to use single stage converter

I simulated a Single Ended Inductor boost Converter & it appears to operate as required with some exception. One benefit of SEPIC is there is no leakage inductance to contend with & simple power circuit.
Because I have 200V output I need a minimum 600V rated MOSFET's / IGBT's to handle volt transients & the inductor current during turnon is about 40A so this wastes a bit of power with high volt semiconductor on resistance.

Maybe it is better to use push pull converter for better efficiency with lower voltage MOSFET's.

Any suggestions very welcome