Looking for a CC CV variable output SMPS design

bluesmoke

Looking to start building a SMPS. I have built some dc converters successfully in the past (nothing with a transformer).. however need something that will convert 110 vac mains to something like 0 (or close to) to 40 volts, and about 10-12 amps. looking for regulation if possible..

anyone know of any designs that would incorporate the above? I am still learning, however feel that I am ready to replicate a design (and TS if necessary). This will be for a test supply.. so around 500-600 watts range.

any ideas?

looked into the tl494 designs, but it doesn't seem like this chip has the features I want. Would like to have a chip with a control pin if i decide to add in a u controller in the future.

Thanks in advance (1st post) :)

this would be for a test bed supply by the way, so no load stable would be preferable.

bluesmoke

Hi Blue smoke,
what are the provisions you are looking in the new smps design?
regards

I would like constant voltage/current, some type of auto shutdown to prevent the loss of the fets in the case of a short. this will be a simple lab power supply... the upper threshold I would prefer to get as high as possible. 30-50volts dc. the lower threshold as low as possible.. however the supply not being exactly 0 volts is not a deal breaker.

I would prefer something commonly used so that diagnosis would not be as much a headache (relatively speaking). 8-12 amps would be preferable for current output. isolation as well of course.

bluesmoke

I would like constant voltage/current, some type of auto shutdown to prevent the loss of the fets in the case of a short. this will be a simple lab power supply... the upper threshold I would prefer to get as high as possible. 30-50volts dc. the lower threshold as low as possible.. however the supply not being exactly 0 volts is not a deal breaker.

I would prefer something commonly used so that diagnosis would not be as much a headache (relatively speaking). 8-12 amps would be preferable for current output. isolation as well of course.

meant to say current limiting in addition to constant voltage (adj)