My First SMPS

Rthompson256

This is my first attempt at a SMPS. I was working on a bigger design, but then I thought about how I was going to power the IC's. So I decided to stop and build a supply to run the auxiliaries first. I am posting the schematic here hoping to get some criticism before I construct the PCB. My goal is to get 40v output. So tell me what you guys think.

U1 is a uc3843
U3 is a Tl431

offline_zps075280ef.jpg

Attachments

• offline.jpg
    offline.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Rthompson256

So anyways I constructed the pcb and have begun testing. Everything seems to work but my output is awful. The filter cap seems to have no effect. Anyone have an idea of what could make my output so bad? The yellow trace is my gate signal and the blue trace is taken directly of the output filter cap. I have used up to 15000uf and no smoothing occurs.
CAM00468_zps4505b67f.jpg
CAM00467_zpsf7cc6e09.jpg

Last edited:

KX36

This might seem a bit of a rude question, but I think it has to be established first in any troubleshooting... Do you understand the theory of SMPS design, have you done the maths to find the component values etc, can you accurately simulate a switching time domain and an equiavlent linear frequency domain model?

Unfortunately I can't give any further advise with the illegibly small schematic. :(

Rthompson256

Yes I do understand the theory, I did do the maths for every component but the transformer. The transformer is for 5v standby I pulled from an atx supply. I did solve the problem, when I constructed the pcb I phased my auxiliary winding and my output winding backwards. I just got my associates in EET. I am not an engineer yet. How would one perform these simulations?

As for the picture how do I make it larger? The image I used is massive. But the forum re sizes very small. There are two images, if you click on the top one then click on it again, you can use ctrl and the mouse scroll-wheel to make the image very large and clear.

KX36

please forgive me, in reading this on a phone, so its not easy to refer back to pics and I'm not massively experienced with debugging these.

So from what I can see, you have a peak current mode controlled playback convertstandard TL431 voltage error amplifier and optoisolator feedinback the error signal to the PWM IC. Now you have some high frequency oscillation in bursts every 20us as well as more in between. seems that you get a constant oscillation when the gate is supposed to be on and not when the gate is off.

it might be the FET gate capacitance oscillating with its source inductance, in which case increasing the gate resistor may help. it might be a different parasitic resonance which needs snubbing, which is normal but often left out of application note schematics which are simplified representations.

the tl431 doesn't seem to have any local compensated feedback loop that I can see. remember its a surrogate error amplifier, I.e. an opamp with an open collector output. this is something which isn't always clear as sometimes the IC error amp has some compensation as well.

next the optoisolator will have its own highly pleomorphic AC characteristics which may sometimes destabilise an otherwise fine loop and are difficult to simulate and predict reliably. the path from here to the IC error amp look a bit unusual to me, although it may be fine, like I said I can't see it well.

peak current mode control is susceptible to subharmonic oscillation as duty cycle increases and it looks like you may be seeing some on that in the variable periods between oscillation. it's also susceptible to noise on the current sense pin shutting the PWM off early.

the IC has a latched output IIRC, so I think this might narrow the source of oscillation down a bit.

KX36

I'm sure you've already read these, but for reference, the PWM IC's datasheet is here:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/uc3842.pdf

And there's a handy application note for this series of ICs which describes a couple of the things I mentioned here:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua143/slua143.pdf

They don't really seem to go into how to design the ubiquitous TL431/optoisolator/internal error amp circuit. The voltage feedback pin seems here to always be getting the voltage feedback from the primary side on an aux/bias winding, (which is fine although won't be as well regulated as if it was from the loaded secondary winding)

KX36

I had 15 mins on my own PC to look at the schematic you have and make some adjustments

1) You should add an input line filter eventually, although it can change the transfer function of the converter so needs to be properly designed. Worry about that later.

2) Class Y cap from primary to secondary ground. Not strictly necessary but leave a place for it on the board in case you need to add it later

3) Layout. Keep high current loops small and use thick traces. This includes the U1/C3/Q1/R8 loops, they should all be close together. Minimise the trace inductance in this loop by keeping traces short and fat.

4) Schottky diode clamps on the OUT pin of U1 as close as possible to the pin to protect it from voltage transients which comes from the gate charging and discharging. They should be included in the tight gate drive high current loop.

5) Your oscillator (R6/C4) appears to be wired wrong in the circuit. I've corrected this as per the datasheet.

6) The voltage adjustment pot R14 should be wired as a variable resistor and the feedback voltage to the TL431 taken from above this. This is mostly because any resistance of the pot in series with R12 will change the AC characteristics, but changes in the resistance between this node and ground aren't really important for AC (if the resistance is too low, the GBWP pole of the TL431 will shift down and that could still cause problems. This is because R12 and R14 in parallel set the gain of the TL431). Another reason for this configuration is so that if/when the wiper of the pot momentarily disconnects from the track, you won't have an open loop oscillating to potential damage, but rather the voltage will drop to the minimum as if R14 was a fixed resistor. Remember also that the output voltage has a significant influence on the AC characteristics of the loop. When designing the TL431 circuit you have to design for a specific output voltage and there is only so much you will be able to turn that pot to fine tune the output without potentially causing instability.

7) I've added the local compensation capacitor to the TL431 that provides the zero for type II compensation that current mode control tends to need. This will give the TL431 high DC gain and therefore tight DC regulation. I've also added a bias resistor bypassing the optocoupler LED which is generally a good idea as the TL431 is like an opamp which gets its power through its output pin.

8) I've also added a capacitor in parallel with R5. This capacitor is in parallel with the optocoupler's parasitic capacitance which together set the type II compensation pole. The parasitic capacitor in the opto is generally dominant and highly variable between devices and in a single device at different currents and temperatures and changes as the device ages. This generally sets the limit of crossover frequency and bandwidth for the entire loop. Optos suck. You don't strictly need this capacitor as the parasitic capacitor is the more important one, but it's good to put it there to give some form of control over this pole.

9) I've put a 20 ohm resistor in series with R11 and R12 (this is sometimes 50 ohm). This is for loop response testing and could be replaced with a a zero ohm link or jumper when not testing the loop, but it doesn't really affect anything by being there as its much smaller than R11 and R12. Good practice to put it in even if you're not going to test the loop any time soon. Testing the loop (and testing the opto AC response) is necessary to ensure stability especially as optos define the stability and are quite unpredictable (did I mention optos suck). Traditionally you'd need to rent some seriously expensive equipment to test the loop, but I've been working on ways to avoid the use of this.

10) I've rearranged the UC3843's error amp configuration so that you can bias it off and directly inject the feedback into the comp pin. I haven't used this IC before but from the datasheet description it looks like it should be possible because it's an open collector opamp. Just pull the Vfb pin low with a resistor and the output transistor will be in cutoff and this takes the onboard error amp is out of the equation. I think the polarity is right, as the TL431 is the inverting error amp and the emitter follower configuration of the opto should be non-inverting. The way it is in yours looks like you have it set up with a high gain, low bandwidth inverting amplifier and I can't see how that'd work [the gain would be -R4/(Zout of the opto), 150k divided by a few ohms, therefore loosely set high gain positive feedback]. This is the part I'm least sure of as I don't have the part in my hand and I'm doing this in my head.

11) I've added 2 possible snubbers in green. You'll likely need these to avoid the kind of oscillation you've seen, I'll let you research how to calculate their values. Getting a waveform of the Q1 drain voltage DC coupled on the scope would be useful.

You will likely also want to measure the magnetising and leakage inductances of the transformer on an LCR meter and output capacitor's ESR (It should be a low ESR type. The ESR zero frequency is important to know when designing the compensation for the loop and in current mode control output voltage ripple is proportional to ESR up to a point).

More reading for you:
http://www.eetimes.com/design/power...7/Power-Tip-17-Snubbing-the-Flyback-Converter

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/TND381-D.PDF

http://switchingpowermagazine.com/downloads/15 Designing with the TL431.pdf

Best of luck!

Matt