Questions about current transformer

lucas-nld

Because of their increase in efficiency, compared to just using a current sense resistor, especially in high current SMPS's, current transformers are in my opinion the best way to go. However, I still have two questions which I haven't been able to find an answer for, one is theoretical and the other more practical.

Considering the principle of a transfer, and the fact that most current transformers have 1 primary winding and anywhere between 40-200 secondary windings, how come when you use a current transformer to sense the current through the primary winding of an offline SMPS, there isn't an insanely high voltage in the secondary winding, causing the insulation to break down? For example, say I'm building an offline half bridge converter (AC in the Netherlands is a stable 230-240VAC), and I'm trying to measure the input current (estimated to be 1 ampere) flowing through the primary winding with a 1:50 current transformer. That primary current would be stepped down by the current transformer to 20mA on it's secondary winding, but shouldn't that also step up the voltage of 240VAC to 12,000VAC on it's secondary winding? Clearly that isn't the case, otherwise the insolation of secondary winding would break down instantly, arc over, and kill the whole SMPS. So how come a current transformer does step down current, but not step up voltage by that same ratio?

I was also wondering whether there is any kind of logic or formula to calculate or estimate the minimum size of a current transformer for a certain throughput? For the normal output transformer of SMPS's there are tables and formulas to calculate how much power it can handle, but that's much less clear for current transformers. I would have thought that in theory you could use pretty small ferrite toroids, as long as they have a high permeability. They only have to handle a small amount of power, and not the full power of the winding they are trying to sense the current of, correct? Or am I wrong?

Silvio

Hello Lucas,

I am reading your post and I was giving it some taught of what you said. As you said the current flowing in the primary of the current trafo will be reflected according to the turns ratio for example 1:50. Seeing all this if the voltage at the secondary will have to be left open and not loaded for sure the voltage will rise up accordingly but to it being loaded the voltage will drop down to nearly nothing compared to the turns ratio. It will all turns to current in the secondary being a few milliamps. The voltage across the load resistor will be a couple of volts or so.

I have a friend who I met here who was a designer of smps. This chap gave some hints how to calculate the turns ratio. One of the things he pointed out was that he told me not to let the voltage in the secondary to rise more than a couple of volts as things will become non linear. From this I concluded that the voltage in the secondary of the current trafo will drop drastically leaving only some current left for the sensing. Bringing all this together it can be considered that when reasoning what size of current trafo needed will bring out the fact that the secondary current must be considered above everything else. In my case when I built the 1000 watt smps I placed a 15mm toroid which had a 1.5:22 ratio. The current passing through it was around 12 amps in the primary. This is estimated as the AC current in the input was measured and this was 6 amps at 230 volts. One other thing that I noticed was that if the smps was loaded with a lower input voltage say 200 volts There has to be more current draw at the secondary to excite the trip current needed. This was due to the output voltage being somewhat lower hence more current to get to the same power. Well my conclusion here comes that it will reflect more to the total power absorbed more than the current itself.

With this I conclude that when coming to calculate the size of the current trafo especially in smps I guess it is the matter of size of the wire used is more important that it will fit properly. I guess all small toroid cores with the proper permeability can handle a few milliamps and used as a current transformer.

Best regards,

Silvio

Last edited: