smps in series ?

mandrake

Good evening all,
as a 'new boy' to SMPS, please excuse my naivety.. ! Is there any reason I can, or cannot use, two identical smps ( 9 volts out ) in series for a nominal 18 volts ?? Two primaries in parallel of course :

KX36

In general, if the outputs are floating, you can connect the outputs of a power supply in series for a summed voltage. If they're not floating you can't (if both negative output terminals are referenced to ground, when you try to connect the positive of one to the negative of the other you'd be shorting it out). If you're talking about "wall-warts", if there's no ground pin on the wall plug and they're double insulated, they should be floating output. With 2x 9V supplies floating, you can reference any part of it to your circuit's ground, so you could configure it as +18V, -18V or +/-9V.

Good for breadboarding etc. Don't put too much filter capacitance in the circuit you wish to run. You don't need as much as in a linear supply and you can make the thing misbehave if there's too much capacitive load.

Connecting in parallel for extra current handling is a lot more difficult unless they're specifically designed to share the load.

mandrake

Hi KX36,
and many thanks for your reply and useful info.I was beginning to think I had asked a stupid question.!No answers !
As stated , I am a complete 'newbie' to SMPS stuff, but rather suspected it just was'nt quite that easy to treat things as though they were straight forward batteries in series . Again; many thanks for your help. Seems I will be stuck with my old linear supplies ?

mandrake

Hello again KX36,
sorry if I am being a bore , but it occurred to me, . Is it possible to use an isolation transformer ?? say 240 volts secondary ? I know its a sledgehammer to crack a nut , but 'just to see' if that would give me a floating output ? ( or am I being naive again ?? )

KX36

I suppose if you plug them both in but keep it switched off at the wall you can check continuity between the outputs terminals you plan to connect. And if there is none then it stands a chance.

mandrake

O.K on that . Initially it was just a thought wondering if it was possible.. As I said have never gone'into' smps before, just linear power supplies,etc..( still old fashioned !) However , many thanks again for your comments, duly noted: Must really learn about the necessary component parts( transformers and winding ratios ) to actually build an SMPS. Best wishes

KX36

FWIW, everything I said applies to linear supplies too since their outputs can either be floating or ground referenced.