Tl431 - feedback Calculator - easy app for android

KX36

I'll be interested to see how well this works since many professionals apparently have no idea how a TL431/opto circuit is supposed to work; don't know it's an error amplifier and take it as an adjustable zener because of the circuit symbol; or neglect the role of the LED resistor, phototransistor resistor or optocoupler parasitic capacitance in the frequency response and try to use the same feedback components as if it was a textbook opamp error amp; or don't know how to find the CTR from the optocoupler's datasheet curves and take the banner spec CTR or read off the value from the normalised CTR graph and take that as the actual CTR.

Is this something you have created or found?

Last edited:

KX36

Tried it. It's not a bad idea but it's barely a start of an app. A picture with 5 text boxes, some of which adjust others when you change them, others not. Some you change it will change another one incorrectly. It barely managed to calculate the resistive divider for the DC output voltage, the LED resistor doesn't change when you change the LED current and it has no frequency compensation at all in it.

Sorry if that seems overly harsh, as I say it's not a bad idea but it's only 1% of the way there, barely started. I'd suggest you read the link in my signature thoroughly, learn about the circuit, practice the calculations on paper and then maybe you might get somewhere.

Last edited: