Uni SMPS 300W

Silvio

Hi Silvio,
Shown in this test set up, 10mm dia mint green color torus taken from a PC mobo. The board lay out was designed by an smps designer in our local forum..

Albert

Hello Albert, If you are still getting low voltage to the fets it means that you do not have enough coupling between the windings you may have a lot of leakage inductance in your gating transformer. If the windings are 1:1 and you are starting with 15v at the feedback winding then losses are present in the gating transformer. I do not know if you have an oscilloscope. This will tell you if you are loosing the wave shape due to bad design in your gate trafo. The method of winding is very important to minimize leakage inductance and capacitance between the windings. I am posting you a pdf file regarding gate trafo so that you can learn a few tips.
You can find a good core for a gate trafo in an old CFL lamp. Some of them has ring type and others have them in a EE type.

Regards Silvio

Attachments

• gate drive trafo.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Abet

Hello Albert, If you are still getting low voltage to the fets it means that you do not have enough coupling between the windings you may have a lot of leakage inductance in your gating transformer. If the windings are 1:1 and you are starting with 15v at the feedback winding then losses are present in the gating transformer. I do not know if you have an oscilloscope. This will tell you if you are loosing the wave shape due to bad design in your gate trafo. The method of winding is very important to minimize leakage inductance and capacitance between the windings. I am posting you a pdf file regarding gate trafo so that you can learn a few tips.
You can find a good core for a gate trafo in an old CFL lamp. Some of them has ring type and others have them in a EE type.

Regards Silvio

Hi Silvio,
Many thanks for sharing the gdt pdf..will find time to study the docs..unfortunately no scope for me. I will find out if I can build a working smps having only basic equipment in hand. I built and modified a class D using only a DMM and Starichoks reference programs. ;)

Regards,
Albert

RickyTerzis

Hi....i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the module arrived this weekend, but I am undecided about using a laptop PS adapter, or using a smps module like the 300W one offered by Connexelectronic. I found this forum while doing my internet research and couldn't be happier. Now I'm not trying to be cheap by any means, but saw an opportunity where I could upcycle a few of the many PC power supplies that I've collected over the years.