Wide input range

vortex

Hello,

I would like to build a ultra (?) wide input range supply : from 90V to 1000V (50/60Hz and dc) with an output of 15V / 1A : i am wondering if it's possible to build this unit with only one flyback stage ? (in my opinion : very difficult, so i consider to use a 2 stages : one buck (possibly with pfc, build with a variable output : in=90Vac out=80Vdc (about), in=1000Vac, out=320V (about)) followed by a classic flyback).

Thanks for any advice.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I would like to build a ultra (?) wide input range supply : from 90V to 1000V (50/60Hz and dc) with an output of 15V / 1A : i am wondering if it's possible to build this unit with only one flyback stage ? (in my opinion : very difficult, so i consider to use a 2 stages : one buck (possibly with pfc, build with a variable output : in=90Vac out=80Vdc (about), in=1000Vac, out=320V (about)) followed by a classic flyback).

Thanks for any advice.

I wonder what kind of application has 1000VAC output!?

This sounds interesting project indeed, but I am thinking in parallel while writing, 1000VAC input will switch things upside down, as those 1000VAC will need application specific components, special PCB layout, and maybe bigger than you think, due the safety standards. witch may need some design consideration before you begin. playing with that voltage wont be good starting point for you if you have never made SMPS. SMPS`s don't joke when fail.

I also wonder how you will generate those 1000VAC

Regards

lucas-nld

I think the OP meant and input of up to 1000V. He mentions that he wants an output of 15V at 1A. That's why he also suggested to make it a 2 stage circuit, with a buck converter as 1st stage.