Irs2153

b_force

I really like the simplicity of the IRS2153.
But I have a few questions about this driver IC.

- If I understand well, it's difficult to make a regulated power supply with this IC?
- If it is possible, is it also possible to make an adjustable voltage?

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the simplicity of the IRS2153.
But I have a few questions about this driver IC.

- If I understand well, it's difficult to make a regulated power supply with this IC?
- If it is possible, is it also possible to make an adjustable voltage?

You cannot use IR2153 for regulated SMPS, since its not a PWM chip. Its a fixed frequency SMPS chip

Regards.

KX36

I think "fixed frequency SMPS chip" is giving it too much credit as what's an SMPS without a PWM. It's simply a high and low side gate driver IC running off its own oscillator apparently with a fixed duty cycle and dead time.

That's not to say it is of no use in SMPS though. There are some more complex SMPS which for one reason or another incorporate a fixed frequency fixed duty cycle oscilator driven main switching transformer purely for isolation. Regulation is performed separately by e.g. a buck converter. Essentially a primary side PWM controlled buck converter regulates the bus voltage (or current) that the main switching transformer sees, and the main transformer passes the energy across the isolation boundary in a highly efficient way. All this is beside the point, but I find it interesting :D
Further reading:
http://sva.ti.com/AU/design/courses/214/print.htm#01cas05

vectrix150v

It is an interesting concept, I can see some value with this in a project I am working on at the moment (an unisolated buck converter) - while it is isolated from a user, a truly isolated converter would be a lot safer!

KX36

the voltage fed buck cascade essentially simplifies to a voltage ratio between a buck converters LC filter and a second output filter. the current fed one simplifies to a current ratio between the buck converters L and C.

it is interesting, but usually if you want a buck derived converter with isolation, you'd use a forward, push pull, half bridge or full bridge converter.