Leco smps some ugly tests...

DjLeco

Leco SMPS on 12 ohms loading , 140,5 volts DC output on idle, 139,5volts DC on 12 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 22,6 mV on it ,so curent on load is 11,25 Amperes.

Power is 11,25A x 139,5V = 1509.5 watts

[video=youtube;EJ5yIu2unQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5yIu2unQg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Leco SMPS on 4 ohms loading , 140,5 volts DC output on idle, 126,4 volts DC on 4 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 54,2 mV on it ,so curent on load is 26 Amperes.

Power is 26A x 126,4V = 3272 watts

Leco SMPS on 2,66 ohms loading , 127 volts DC output on idle, 115,5volts DC on 2,66 ohms load.

50 Ampres/100milivolts shunt seried , shows 76,4 mV on it ,so curent on load is 36 Amperes.

Power is 36A x 115,5V = 4135 watts

[video=youtube;3GKS3qbmJkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GKS3qbmJkQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

tebci

is that regulated power supply with protection?

I think you are using PFC with regulator?

schematic is for share?

DjLeco

Now, last test before send it for PCB design, and full realisation:

I'm staying on Half Bridge, resonant mode topology.

On first movie, we have around 109-110Vdc on output on 3 dummy load 1 ohm/1000W resistors seried connected (3 ohm total).

For avoiding inadequate measurements caused by tolerance of thermal derive of resistors when heating, I used 100mV/50Amps shunt, so when we have 100mV dropping on shunt, curent is 50 Amps.

On first movie, in this case we have 65,17 mV on shunt, output is 109,8Vdc on dummy load.

If at 100mV on shunt, we have 50Amps, at 65,17mV we will have 50 x 65,17/100= 32,585Amps

In this case power was 109,8Vcc x 32,585A = 3577W

The test at 3500W

[video=youtube;3P9BJQggxr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P9BJQggxr0&feature=youtu.be]Smps 3500W.MOV - YouTube[/video]

Now let's make last test.

The test at 3500W

Values are 93,2 mV on shunt, so at 93,2mV we will have 46,6A and dc out dummy load is 103,2V, total power being 103,2Volts x 46,6Amps = 4809 watts.

[video=youtube;CAu5J3eaK28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAu5J3eaK28&feature=youtu.be]Leco SMPS Max Load - YouTube[/video]

DjLeco

I did some tests so try a guide to the approximate calculation of the efficiency of the SMPS, I have the three measurement devices on the same power supply (9V battery brand new) to see how each display, and whether there are differences between them:

multimeters at 9Vdc battery:

The only measurement where I noticed a slight difference between devices was to measure DC current between the two multimeters (I measured a current through the resistance of 10 ohm to 13.2 VDC powered stabilized) as will be seen in pictures below.

Metrahit show a current 1,316 A and M890G show 1.27 A.

That is why I chose to do the movie 2, where I have replaced each measurement devices between them ...

Now go to see movies, where I extracted and calculated efficiency, obtained by power obtained,dividing by power consumed.

I used the ampermeter seried and voltmeter parraleled with SMPS primary input in order to accurately measure the power consumed by the ratio P = UxI.

I used the ampermeter seried and voltmeter parraleled on SMPS output, loaded with dummy load , to measure the exact power obtained by the ratio P = UxI.

Movie 1 SMPS loaded with 700 + W :

[video=youtube;joZCEjhlEv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joZCEjhlEv0&feature=youtu.be[/video]Test 1 Randament SMPS Leco.MOV - YouTube[/video]

Test 1 with Metrahit in primary

Primary 296Vdc x 2.55 Amps = 754.8 Watts power consumption

Secondary 120.7Vdc x 5.95 Amps = 718.165 Watts power obtained

Efficiency 95.14%

Continuing movie, above min 3, SMPS is loaded more than 1300Watts

Primary 288Vdc x 4,726Amps = 1361,088 Watts power consumption

Secondary 116,3Vdc x 11,17Amps = 1299,071 Watts power obtained

Efficiency 95.44%

Now I changed measurement units between them, Metrahit in secondary and primary M890G in.

Movie 2, Metrahit in secondary

[video=youtube;mv1ytqijU9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv1ytqijU9w[/video]Test 3 Randament SMPS Leco-001.mkv - YouTube[/url]

Primary 288Vdc x 2,55Amps = 759,9 Watts adding 2,6W losses on main rectifier bridge results 762,5W total power consumption

Secondary 121,9Vdc x 6Amps = 731,4 Watts power obtained

Efficiency 95.92%,

Remember, in any of the tests, SMPS was UNVENTILATED!

DjLeco

I decided to see, how many watts can carry IGBT's...

Same setup, dropping dummy load from 3 ohms till 1,5 ohms.

Choose 720p (HD) at youtube.

[video=youtube;O74jJUo7eA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O74jJUo7eA4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I saw peak of 27Amps on clampmeter , 25-26Amps sustained after 2 secs of max load , pozzible not seen in videoclip...

At start to load with 1,5 ohms on output I measured 109,23mV on shunt, corresponding to 54,61Amperes through load, output tension (on load) was 95,3V.

In that case, power was 54,61Amps x 95,3Volts = 5204,33Watts.

Some interesant pictures!

30Amps main fuse before use (new one):

30Amps main fuse before after test, compaired with another new one:

ShuFront shunt:

Back shunt, observing 2 x 3mm resistive material.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Nice

Friend Leco,,

Very nice work from you.

Hope those who claim success into SMPS, can show the same.

Your test proves many things :D, like Poor PCB layout may blow your IGBTs, this is not true here ;)

Good Luck...

DCPreamp

Nice work with amazing power levels for a DIY-SMPS! I would love to see some more detailed pictures showing the PCB, layout, transformer, etc. The videos show everything, but they are tough to study and understand exactly how everything is integrated together.

Of course, I would love to see the schematics and list of components too, but I read where you said this is a commercial PCB project of yours. Still, I don't think posting your schematics will hurt you or your project sales. Most people, myself included, only look at schematics to see how circuits work and are designed and built - not to clone and sell them. For example, I have had lots of McIntosh amplifier schematics for years, but when I wanted an amp, I still paid $6,000 for a McIntosh amp. Seeing the schematics actually helped me decide to buy - not to copy it.

So please post your schematics. I promise not to copy anything and would, depending on your design and the cost, be way more likely to buy one of your PCB's. In fact, there's a pretty good chance I will not buy your PCB without seeing the schematics and knowing exactly what I'm buying and building.

Just saying...

renotrend

Hi Mr Leco ,are you use output inductor filter at sekunder or output circuit ?, what kind or dimension the transformer ? ETD49 or ETD59 , how mm gap of tranformer or ungap ,and how frek operation ? Sorry many question !!
Regards,
Renotrend

Last edited:

DjLeco

I used ETD59.

SMPS is resonant mode, so I used coil on primary circuit.

Tested today auxiliary power supply for softstart and PWM part.

FLAWLESS...

stewin

wow dj leco cool work but board is big.
what diodes are you using for rectification ? also what is your switching frequency?

anyway excellent work .

DjLeco

I used ultrafast diodes, 30Amps ones x 4.

Switching freq, I must decide to see where is the best randament, and minimum noise.

SMPS will be for selling, no common project, unfortunately.

I have invested some euros (a little above 2000), to finish this project, and now, I must recover and earn some money...

Output part:

Last edited: