500W Smps project

ludo3232

Hi all!

I want start a new design of SMPS, based on my 1kW ... or not...

I plan to use ETD39 core

If you have any suggestion or other ideas...

now i have no drawing or schematics for this smps. i start from scratch..

If i make this smps i share the pdf files after it tested..

anyone interested?

Corvett

new smps ludoi

Mr ludo3232

i dont know why you will make another smps power supply ((@

please tel why, whats advantages we get from new 500W smps supply you are going to make.

is it new small one, big? or using IR2151 chip dear friend?

luchni

maybe this would be an el-cheapo smps project, 1kW's little brother, but it could still kick some power?

ludo3232

I would make a smaller and cheaper smps for small amplifier and chip amp lm3886 tda 7294.... and other..

I think i start my project with ir2153 chip.. but is not definitive choice.

uglykid

hi ludo

I've also used ir2153 and I think it's a nice chip, I have made a couple of SMPS with it ( for some ucd amps) and can deliver around 650W with etd44 core, but I've burned a couple of ic's until I made ​​a separate 12v power supply for the ir2153 so it starts before the main power is full on the FET's, instead of supplying the ic from the 320v main power via Resistors just like in the datasheet, I look forward to seeing your 500w SMPS:)

best regards
uglykid

ludo3232

Hi uglykid.

I've used ir2153 on my first smps in the thread of 1kW smps.
It's work good.. but later i have added a protection circuit for output short circuits

It's no work good, the problem is the startup current, ir2153 have no soft start function, and if i turn on the psu the protection turn on directly..

Have you a solution for this? u use short circuit turn off or not?

Thanks.

uglykid

hi ludo.

i have no overcurrent protection on my smps.. i go the hard way, if it blows it blows.. and i am not expert in smps contruction, i have taking a look on your first smps and i can see you use a 6.8 ohm resistor and a relay delayed about 1 sec to make soft start, i go exacly the same way but i use a 330 ohm resistor and 3-4 sec delay, i dont no if it will work but mayby bigger resistor and longer delaytime will get smaller startup current? and sorry for my bad english..

lorylaci

Hi Guys!
I have an SMPS plan, which can supply 300-400W (depending on heatsink size, fans, ambient temperature). With small modifications it can supply 500W. Are you interested? If so, I can post you PCB plan, schematic, and transformer information.

lorylaci

Attached there are the schematic and layout. If you are interested I can export the layers separate, or send the sprint-layout file.

The core should be ETD34, N87/N97 material or equivalent. Primary turns should be 25 turns (I use 4 times 0,4mm diameter), and secondary should be half-overlapped with primatry to get correct leakage inductance (40-50uH). Secondary is on your output voltage needs (Uout=n/25*160, where n is number of turns for secondary). Secondary should be wound with stranded wire, with proper copper-area.
FETs should be: IRF740 (cheap, but old, can be get everywhere, moderate cooling needed), STP12NM50FP (my preferate, good fet), or any other rated for at least 8A (current at short circuit limited to this, by resonant elements), with low RDSon, and LOW GATE CHARGE (most important, should be under 50nC).

I tested this supply (with older layout) with bulbs, power resistors and amplifiers. It worked pretty well. If you need less voltage drop you should increase resonant caps to 33n and decrease leakage inductance to 30uF, but then you need FETs rated for 12A (and more cooling), and better diodes than UF5404 (these are 3A 400V ultrafast diodes, you will need fast high-voltage diodes with 5A rated current at least, like some MURs)

Switching freq should be adjusted to your resonat cap / leakage inductance values (about 110kHz)

This schematic can provide 500W with the following changes:
- better FETS, for example some STP20NM50 FETs should get 500W with moderate cooling
- output diodes should heatsinked effectively
- transformer is wound with optimal stranded wire, up to its maximal winding area.
- resonant caps 33n, leakage inductance 26uF
- swithcing freq is 120kHz

IR2153 can be used, but it has more dead-time. So you should encounter more voltage drop at loaded conditions.

All safety issues should be well understood by builder before building!

Attachments

• rezotap_kapcs.jpg
    rezotap_kapcs.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 728
  • Rezotap.jpg
    Rezotap.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 400

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Waves

lorylaci

Are you able to show me wave across your series capacitor with transformer?

Current wave while the SMPS is loaded.

Thanks

lorylaci

Sure, I am able, but I need some time to do this. (I have to photograph the oscilloscope, connect together a test setup, and have other SMPSs to do :)

mrperform

Hy. I am want to make this smps but i want to know if i can use IRFP460 as tranzistors and MBR10150 as diodes ?

radio

Hi all !!
Is this 500W - SMPS power supply can be used to power stereo amplifiers with TDA294/4om?
thanks and cheers !

mrperform

Yes you can use IRFP460, but I never used Schottky Barrier Rectifier, you can give it a try!

Ok. Now I am starting to make the PCB and tomorrow i will begin to plant the parts. I will use a EI40 chopper from a ATX power supply and I will need some help to make it work beacause this is my first SMPS from 220Vca. Thank you and i hope that will work.

radio

Hi lorylaci!
What about protection against short circuit at the output and the soft start??
And if you let ... where is the image of the created SMPS ??!
thanks and cheers !

Last edited:

radio

In this forum there are plenty of topics of interest but little of visitors and answer some questions!?
схеерс

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
In this forum there are plenty of topics of interest but little of visitors and answer some questions!?
схеерс

Let me know your need exactly, I noticed that you are looking to make a SMPS. while many made it here