IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

Dzony_988

Can someone explane to me how work current sens transformer and calculation for it (core T106-26)

I need calculation because I want to setup protection for different power of SMPS

MCR100 triger on 0.8V DC (I think) and I want to know on which current (on 1 turn) T106-26 inducate to secondary that voltage for trigger MCR100 and calculation for number of turns for secondary ...

Tnx, Nikola

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone explane to me how work current sens transformer and calculation for it (core T106-26)

I need calculation because I want to setup protection for different power of SMPS

MCR100 triger on 0.8V DC (I think) and I want to know on which current (on 1 turn) T106-26 inducate to secondary that voltage for trigger MCR100 and calculation for number of turns for secondary ...

Tnx, Nikola

Best way is to start with 20 ~ 30 turns and measure the voltage @ 1A for example, then from there you will be able to know every thing. Also it depends on your protection circuit.

Regadrs

mnicolau

PDF attached with the implicit theory in the current sense transformer.

Regards

Attachments

• The fundamentals of current sense transformer design.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:

vladonedj

What happens if the IR is powered from an auxiliary 15V source and it remains without voltage on pin 1, and the rest of the circuit is still connected to 220VAC?
I think the SMPS will simply stop, right?

Last edited:

kinter

smps.JPGhello, this is my pcb is like the one posted by norazmi. I added a emi filter input and is smaller. is a simple smps 2x25v using a atx transformer.

Regards

Last edited:

kinter

this is my final version of ir2153 smps with atx transformer. 2x25V output
final ir2153.jpg

and this is pdf file

Attachments

• ir2153 smps 2.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:

demykiko

Hi to all in this thread, especially to norazmi and microsim..

I finally got the hard to find IR2153 here in my country..and just want to share my experience about its amazing operation.
I already have my own rig and it is working at 66khz although everything is not yet on the pcb..I just started at low power before
I go for high like 500W or more..my first transformer is only a toroid but but it doesn't show any sign of heating up also my mosfet maybe
because its only a little less than 100W..hoping my camera will be repaired soon to show the pics...my next move is to test shutdown feature
of IR2153..

Regards,
Demykiko

demykiko

Thanks Bettecher for your encouraging words
Hope I can make it and post some pics or video
the problem is my cam is just a cellphone with
low pixel..I guess the pics may all be not clear..

Regards,
demykiko

demykiko

Ok I will try one time to take pictures of my rig as soon as
I get long free time...I have one question in mind that when
my measured output power is 670 watts (135v dc at 4.2 amps)
it can survive the 5 minutes test and surprisingly gave no overheating
of the mosfets and the core ( I used big flyback transformer core only)
they are all still cool..but when I raise the number of turns of secondary to raise
also the output voltage..it can not be as cool as the first..I'm just wondering why?..

Bettecher

The possible reason is when you increase the power, the core may be saturated.
Consider to make new calculations and replace the core.

Regards,

Bettecher

demykiko

Thank you very much Bettecher for the advice,
What indication does the core show if it is saturated aside from it cannot give more power?
Is it the core heating or what?

Regards,
demykiko

Bettecher

We don't need to wait until the core shows something. By using the right formulas, we can find the "area product" (Ap), then find the size (Ae) from a particular core.

The Ap is the relationship between the power and the magnetic path from the core. There are lots of books free on internet with formulas.

Remember, if the power cross up to 800W for your case, you will have to replace not only the core, but other parts.

Regards,

Marcos

demykiko

Thanks again Marcos (Bettecher) for your Inspiring reply.
To tell you frankly I don't use formula especially in calculating
the core but it doesn't mean that I'm not in favor of those formulas
it just happen that I am used to the "hit or miss" experimentation because maybe
this is how I've been trained by myself ever since..so now because you mentioned it
I will give time to consider those formulas from now on...
Another reason why I don't give so much time in studying formulas is because
I've been unable to find here in our place the core that I've been wanting for so long..
it is the ETD49...ETD55..thank you so much for your advice friend..