IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

Bettecher

The inductor is commonly called a feed-choke or series inductor. It has an
inductance large enough in value to maintain a continuous current through the
circuit under all conditions of line and load.
A voltage-fed converter needs that averaging circuit to provide the proper output voltage.

Now is up to you!

Regards,

Marcos Bettecher

vorezky04

Friend, please help me for modification this PSU for use as aux to schematic IR2153 made LUDO..
I want modification in red line.
I'm sorry about my english is bad..

Attachments

• setelah do modif.jpg
    setelah do modif.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 771

gloriel

Friend, please help me for modification this PSU for use as aux to schematic IR2153 made LUDO..
I want modification in red line.
I'm sorry about my english is bad..

hi vorez pls check your pm box. I need help to get some IR2153 thank you.

Glo

gloriel

today i get a broken Server PSU for free from my friend. inside i found 2x820uf/200V, 3xSB3045CT Diode, 1xSB3060CT, 1xEL35 main trafo. this trafo pin is just like EI 33, but heigh is twice of EI-33. how many watt i can get from this trafo? i will use IRF840. I think it's will fit with IR2155 PCB.

regards

marcosaq

I liked this project ...

I'm thinking of building one of these, I have an EE55 Will it work?

The power I get with an EE55?
How did you get the transformer did you use?

Thank you.

hi guys . i've finally completed the pcb of the smps . i chose ir2110 because it has protection features and here where i am they both are sold at the same price as ir2153 ;). i like the protection because if the amp gets over loaded or the amp transistor fails the power supply will switch itself off hopefully:(

gloriel

Hi Azmi, pls advice my ir2153 PCB, i added line filter and XY caps, change output dioda to F16C20,

Regards

Glo

Attachments

• IR2153 smps with line filter.jpg
    IR2153 smps with line filter.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 652

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Do not include inductor :D because this smps is not regulate so it will lower your smps efficiency. U might change fr104 to uf4007/4 at power mosfet, but fr104 should work also. 100k 2W clamp resistor is too much, lower it to 47k 5w. 2.7k 1W for load resistor is too low and might burn if output voltage more than +/- 30 vdc , change it to 3.3k 2W or even 3W :D. all good as i can see.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
glo u need to specified, with what rated output rails? +/- 50vdc or? with that current u mean per rail? u need really big trafo for it, at least edt59 :D

Dzony_988

Norazmi and others who wrote on this treat..

I want to build this SMPS and this will be my FIRST SMPS...
I used schematic from first page that norazmi posted but I want 1KW of power for my class D amp..

I will use ETD49 transformer, IRFP460 and unit with IRF730 for IR2153 supply with zeners 15V (you can see that on board..

Board is small (real size is in PDF) and I found 1000uF 200V caps with 15mm diameter and 60mm high...

I have few questions:

1) Is my board good for this smps?
2) I can find in my country ETD49 core 3C90 and ETD49 core 3F3, which of these can I use?
3) Do I need air gap on central leg?
4) I dont know number of turns and wire ticknes for primary and secondary (I need +-50V)
5) Number of turns for EE16 current sens transformer and wire tickens?

6) And one realy stupid question :)
What means when you say for primary turns on example 11+11, is this means 22 turns on primary side? When you say on example 6+6 on secondary side I know that means that seconadary side has 3 pins (~ 0 ~ voltage), but primary side doesnt has 3 pins, only two, that I dont understand...

Thanks and Ragards
Nikola

Attachments

• SMPS Half Bridge IR2153 2.0 - Esquema-1.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • PCB Artwork SMPS IR2153 ETD49.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 868
  • PCB Wizard Files (SMPS IR2153 ETD49).rar
    15.9 KB · Views: 596
  • Components SMPS IR2153 ETD49.pdf
    156.1 KB · Views: 952
  • RealWorld PCB SMPS IR2153 ETD49.pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 904
Last edited:

gloriel

Hi Azmi,
pls give me a clue, i need to drive subwoofer with 2 ohm load (2 x 4 ohm paralel), the speaker rated at 150 watt rms. so i think i will need 25VDC at 12,5 Amp per rail. am i wrong?

regards,
Glo

Dzony_988

Hi Gloriel...

You need amp who can produce min 150W at 4 ohms and 300W at 2 ohms.. To avoide cliping and distorsion I recomanded you to build AMP with +-40V. At 4 ohms thats aprox 180W and on 2 ohms that would be aprox 350W without cliping but if you push it hard you can get 380W.

400-450W power supplay will be good (2 x 40V 5A per rail)

That is for on example for Class D AMP, but if you wanna build AB class amp, voltage will be +-45V for same power because of voltage trops on emitter/source resistors and VAS stage..

This will be theory...

You need 300W on 2 ohms:

40V / 1.41 = ~28.3Vout
28.3V / 2ohms = 14.15Aout
14.15A * 28.3V = 400W @ 2ohms and 200W @ 4ohms

But without distorsion and cliping you will get pure 350W @ 2 ohms to drive thats subs :)

Regards

Last edited:

wally7856

6) And one realy stupid question :)
What means when you say for primary turns on example 11+11, is this means 22 turns on primary side? When you say on example 6+6 on secondary side I know that means that seconadary side has 3 pins (~ 0 ~ voltage), but primary side doesnt has 3 pins, only two, that I dont understand...

Thanks and Ragards
Nikola

This means that the primary is split in 2 windings with the secondary in the middle. The primary windings are then wired in series.

Dzony_988

Ooooh yeah, like in ATX smps transforemer (19+19), I understand now...
Thanks Wallly...

What about of number of tunrs for primary and secondary (ETD 49 3C90 core @ 100KHz, gaped or no) and for curent sens transformer (EE16 3C90 core)

Enybody who can write my standards formulas for calculatuon with explonation!?

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Dzony : no gaps for half bridge or with gaps u will lost lots of power inside the core.

1. your pcb is good. nice and clean track with good gaps between each track i like it.
2. u can use edt49 ferrite core, look at datasheet between 3C90 and 3F3 which one have high freq is better.
3. no need air gap for half bridge topology.
4. its easy to calculate the number of turn with tools here at diysmps already post how to calculate the primary and secondary turn with range of freq. say 100Khz , primary u need 13 turn so make it 14. so each primary will have 7+7 turn. and for the secondary u need 10 turn which mean 5+5 turn for each side. Wire thickness is depend what u got. parallel more wire will have good efficiency make it awg29 x 7 for primary and awg29 x 10 for secondary because u have enough space for the edt49 trafo.
5. you can use iron powder core T106-26(yellow) for current sense no need ee16 which is too small and hard to wind. u can use awg24 25 + 25 each .
6. thats not stupid question and i think u already got the answer :D

I can see u made the aux supply using irf730, did u simulate it yet with high supply like >300 vdc it can stand for long? not overheat?. Why not make another small linear supply to provide aux supply for ir2153. ur going to make high power smps try to avoid taking aux supply from main rails psu. when smps try to get more power main power rails will have high tension which can cause it will drop, there u may have problem with aux supply also will drop.

regards
Azmi.

Last edited: