LLC Resonant Converter

lupusaudio

Hi billi,
thanks for your drawing. I understand. My first application will be a power supply for a Class H Industrial Power Amplifier and I want to switch the rails on the dc-side , behind the rectifiers ( I expect this is more convenient).
Interleaved PFC is a 2-phase boost converter in paralell operation for high power applications
Main benefits:
- lower ripple current
- reducing inductor volume
- easier design of emi filtering

More on this topic can be found for example at TI:
Michael O'Lougglin, An Interleaved PFC Preregulator for High-Power Converters, Power Supply Design Seminar SEM-1700, Topic 5

hilli_billi

Hi lupus,

so you need to switch the rail voltage dynamically from 45 to 90 Volts.
But you wrote:
" I need +/- 90V/11A and +/-45V/22A output voltage..."
So you would need to make the inner windings for 45V@22A and the outer for additional 45V@11A ?
Do you really need 22A@45V?
I would expect that the power sink needs less power (current) at the lower voltage.

lupusaudio

Hi billi,

"So you would need to make the inner windings for 45V@22A and the outer for additional 45V@11A ?"
Yes !
"Do you really need 22A@45V?"
Yes..one request to the industrail amplifier is to drive heavy loads ( coils with a dc resistance of 0.5 ohm for generating slow ac magnetic fields) in the +/- 45Volt supply mode.
"so you need to switch the rail voltage dynamically from 45 to 90 Volts."
yes, for operating as power source for inductive loads or power sink (4-quadraten amplifier).

lupusaudio

the first daughter board:

PFC Controller ADP1048 (similar to the AD evaluation board).
I am now working on the circuit boards.

Attachments

• S120827.pdf
    41.2 KB · Views: 159

lupusaudio

Hi,

updated schematic and first design of the circuit board.
Comments and improvements are highly welcome.

Attachments

• S120503_V1a.zip
    710 KB · Views: 167

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
very good PCB layout, looks OK

Is this going to be a test board for all applications related to the LLC?

lupusaudio

yes, I want to test different controller and magnetic components.
ucc28070, adp1048 ; ucc25600, L6599, FAN7631,intergrated and separate resonant inductor, regulated and non-regulated design.....
do you have any more suggestions ?

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
That looks very interesting indeed, if you make PCBs I wish to count one for me, if you dont mind sharing this with me.

I have done many tests before, and also had success with PFC, now i am almost finished my commercial SMPS version. unregulated SMPS 1KW.

I dont know if you have protection system into the board? like over current, over voltage etc...

Regards

lupusaudio

I will make PCBs during this month and I have no problem of sharing. Voltage, current and temperatur protection are provided. I will start evaluation with the ADP1048 (PFC controller), which has a lot options for monitoring and protection ( see post #24).

Regards

lupusaudio

Hi,

Daughter board for the Resonant Mode Controller UCC25600 and a block diagram.
Again...comments are welcome.

Attachments

• S121002.zip
    49.9 KB · Views: 148

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice,

Soon I will get some transformers to start playing with L6599 controller, + making the PFC for the same circuit

what do you think about this chip ?

lupusaudio

Right now I do not have any experience with the L6599. I'll start with the UCC25600 and then make a PCB for the L6599, which I think is a good alternative.
From my perspective, the chips are very similar ( e.g.: burst-mode operation at light loads,OVP, On/off Controll ), however, the UCC has a programmable dead-time, only 8 pins and is cheaper. The main current protections will done by the PFC circuit.
I guess that you need for high-power applications, an additional gate driver for both chips.
What do you think ?
Which controller do you want to use for the PFC?

I have now received the PCBs for the power- and daughter boards and begin with "pick&place“ of the parts.

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I do not have any experience with the L6599. I'll start with the UCC25600 and then make a PCB for the L6599, which I think is a good alternative.
From my perspective, the chips are very similar ( e.g.: burst-mode operation at light loads,OVP, On/off Controll ), however, the UCC has a programmable dead-time, only 8 pins and is cheaper. The main current protections will done by the PFC circuit.
I guess that you need for high-power applications, an additional gate driver for both chips.
What do you think ?
Which controller do you want to use for the PFC?

I have now received the PCBs for the power- and daughter boards and begin with "pick&place“ of the parts.

Hi,

I got some commercial designs for SMPS with PFC to inspire from, you know its good idea to inspire from commercial designs, the CHIP I plan to use with PFC is one from the below

UCC28019

L6563

L4981A

I dont recommend that you relay at the PFC circuit for current limiting, use separate circuit for the SMPS section if you can.

And to tell you the truth, the most trusted chip for PFC in commercial audio and high power applications is the L4981.

Please PM me if you would like to sell me PCBs.

Thank you