IR2153 smps with short circuit protection.

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
In order to make some of you happy, here’s the schematic of my 1kw smps.
This is the same based combination of IR2110 and SG3525 but, has lots improvements like a linear short circuit protection, better response of output transients, high output peak current and voltage regulated. Specially designed for audio applications.
Enjoy!

Do you have pcb for it?

Bettecher

Do you have pcb for it?

Yes, but It was the first pcb made and needs some changes. If you want I can send to you by e-mail. I don’t think is a good idea to post a corrupted pcb here.

By the way, I finished my new trafo today. It works and has a good voltage regulation but, I having a saturation problem. ( It’s warming ). I think the problem is gauss value that used. (2200 T). I decided to increase the gauss a little bit in order to improve the voltage regulation but I think it was too much! Do you have some suggestion or a reasonable value?

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
if ur trafo warming while working with 80 Khz it does not mean saturation. Its normal trafo warm up a little but not going to overheat. I have with me ir2153 working with 100Khz exactly i built what i post here, and remember snubber will help much to keep trafo stable and not overheat, without them trafo will go heat like crazy. Take time to look at my circuit, maybe u need to put snubber like mine. Because i`ve test with ucd discrete amp with totem pole 4 pcs irfp250N to push 2 ohm load audiobahn Q series with IR2153 smps and voltage drop only +- 3vdc both rails when play hard. I use only ETD35 trafo and its enough to pull out about 600 wrms for 100Khz. When u smell something from speaker because of coils heats up and when u touch the speaker cone hot, u know that the power deliver to the speaker is more than enough and smps done their job very well. I use main caps filter 680uf/250V x 4.

p/s - i dont use output inductor because its not regulated, with inductor it will drop more and main trafo will be hot, but when play with IR2110 + SG3525 its ok to have output inductor because the supply is regulated. Thats what i`ve done experiment in real life.

Keep going Bettecher we will try to solve your problem together :D .

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
ur welcome and thanks again for the file. Your pcb is not bad :D . To minimize switching noise u can use rod ferrite core and wound it with awg17 coil about 6-7 round at both rails except GND. Im going to continue my project with my car sound system while see ur progress here at the same time.

vorezky04

I want ask to you microsim. can you explain about calculate of Ae result with a example picture of FERITE? because I don't understanding how the result of Ae from picture if i don't know data from the feritte.

Bettecher

Hi fellows, here are the pics from my smps based on IR2153.
The schematic is almost the same posted here. The results are pretty cool!

Special thanks to Norazmi for his help and support! :D

Bettecher

Attachments

• Marcos0135.jpg
    Marcos0135.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 623
  • Marcos0136.jpg
    Marcos0136.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 517
  • Marcos0138.jpg
    Marcos0138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 383
  • Marcos0139.jpg
    Marcos0139.jpg
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 406
  • Marcos0145.jpg
    Marcos0145.jpg
    913.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Marcos0146.jpg
    Marcos0146.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Marcos0147.jpg
    Marcos0147.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 295

marcosaq

Here are some pics from my last 1kw spms based on IRF460, IR2110, SG3525, TL431 and optocoupler PC817. As you can see, there are too many components, that’s why I decide tried the IR2153. The design is working very well and one channel of my D class amp is included. Hope you like!

You can provide the design of the pcb for me to build this project? and how should I build the transformer to get 1000w?

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
marco, u can use bettecher pcb if possible, or u can use mine at main post, few components need to be change to get proper 1kw out. Trafo edt49 will do the job and with 100 Khz switching u can get more than 1kw by using irfp460.

michelle

Hi Norazmi
greetings how difficult is it to make this smps i would like to make a smps 1000 watts @100 Khz switching fre using irf 460 using EDT49 CORE
can you share pcb design
warm regards
michelle

Abet

marco, u can use bettecher pcb if possible, or u can use mine at main post, few components need to be change to get proper 1kw out. Trafo edt49 will do the job and with 100 Khz switching u can get more than 1kw by using irfp460.

Norazmi, if I can find IR2153 in my place I'd love to give this SMPS a try,:UP: it seems though that there are modifications done from the original circuit (that is you put 2 inductors in the +/-rail one to + and the other to - ) have you made an updated schematic to come-up with 1KW output power? And where is bettecher pdf files? Is it being shared for DIY?:D

Regards!
Abet

norazmi

diysmps Senior Member
Hi there,

Michelle : Its not really difficult to make 1kw offline smps. With Irfp460 will be more easy as rds-on will be more faster than irf740. also if you can get etd49 will be more great. With switching 100Khz you can get more than 1kw, add more caps bank at hi-voltage, at least 15A diode at hi-voltage. At this time i dont have pcb yet with IR2153 to go with 1kwrms power. But i can make one if u want. Just give me some time to have it done.

Abet : Ok to be clear it up, Actually i did modification with remove the output inductor. I did put 2 inductor at the second test but without them the smps will be more efficient. Because of this smps is not regulate, so inductor just make this smps will be more suffer and ineffective. I`ll take a look again with bettecher design and he already mention that the design is almost same at page 1 project. and i already mention regarding aux supply to IR2153 need to be stable or use external aux for good result. also you can see bettecher use relay to short the NTC few secs after smps power up.

regards.

Abet

By the way will these work on this SMPS? I got them from a discarded ATX PSU :)

Thanks!