"TO-247" First Project - 600W SMPS"

TO-247

TO-247, can you share final your schematic and layout if able.

please don't tell me about sharing this project.if you want to make a smps , it's better to do it yourself and do some improvement.
also you can get helps from this topic or ludo's topic. it's not a simple diy electronic project for sharing. if you can't , try commercial kits at first.

i've just finished some test..with 100,140,250,460w loads..without series lamp in main. mosfets temprature was about 35-36C in test.(with bigger heatsink).
a video of transformer's primary is here (each load connected only for 2-3 sec) :

[video=youtube;puFp19AyE7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFp19AyE7E[/video]

what do you think MicrosiM ? can i load smps with 250-500w load in 5-10 minutes ?

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
I have to see signal of S+D of Mosfet while SMPS is loaded

Dont be scared, Load it 500W and watch TEMPRETURE for all parts, While your waves ARE ok across S+D then you are safe, and keep pushing it

Thats the way you test, BUT until Mosfet heat sink hits 70C, then stop it

Regards

TO-247

I have to see signal of S+D of Mosfet while SMPS is loaded

Hi MicrosiM , did you see my newest video of testing ? how was that ?
i want to know that 460w wave is ok or not..because it's not a clear square..

regards

TO-247

I've just tested smps with 420w load (80Vx6A) for 5 to 7 Minutes.
Voltage across primary after 5 Minutes is on the attachment.

Test Results :

Total voltage drop : from 86 to 80v under 420w load (3v per rail).

After 5 Minutes :
Mosfets : 45ºC
Core : 42ºC
Input Bridge Rectifier : 50~55ºC (i couldn't touch heatsink)
Output Bridge Rectifier : 40~45ºC

After 7 Mintes :
Mosfets : 47ºC
Core : 44ºC
Input Bridge Rectifier : 50~55ºC
Output Bridge Rectifier : 40~45ºC

what you think ?
I need more temperature meters , test loads and also a good DMM. actually i need some money -)
i need at least one week to prepare them. let me do that.
for next time i'm going to test smps with 400~800w loads !!!: and record some videos while loading smps..

Thanks MicrosiM :)
Thanks DIYSMPS :)

Attachments

• Vpri-420W.jpg
    Vpri-420W.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 55

TO-247

Sorry MicrosiM , I have another question about Crown XTi1000 Amp..or QSC CX404..
why they are using that inductor which placed near series capacitor ?

do you know what is the smps topology of this amps ?
i attached two picture from this smps which i found on another websites.

Regards

Attachments

• XTi 1000.jpg
    XTi 1000.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 311
  • QSC CX404.jpg
    QSC CX404.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 274

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry MicrosiM , I have another question about Crown XTi1000 Amp..or QSC CX404..
why they are using that inductor which placed near series capacitor ?

do you know what is the smps topology of this amps ?
i attached two picture from this smps which i found on another websites.

Regards

That coil is needed into resonant SMPS circuits in order to add more leakage inductance to the transformer primary. its same SMPS you have just made, only thing is that inductor, however.
Resonant can be done without the series inductor.

If you show me WAVE across your series capacitor with transformer will tell you more.

Wave WHILE SMPS is loaded at least 500W.

Regards

TO-247

Hi MicrosiM ,

can i use IXFH26N50 instead of IRF460 ? because of better performance..low Rds(on) and etc.

Attachments

• IXFH26N50.pdf
    158 KB · Views: 207

MyFirstSMPS

Ixfh26n50

TO-247, you've done a lot of work, informative topic!
Are you working this SMPS recently? How does it work this time?
I happened to read the thread and got ideas for their future projects.
I looked IXFH26N50P datasheet and it seems to be better in every way than the IRFP460
They are different variations of the index, but -P seems to be the best for the SMPS. It has a low Gate Charge - 60nC, and a lower Rds also.

I looked at Digikey and amazing, they are so cheap in America, only $ 6.13.
In my country can subscribe to a closest price only IRFP450 and IRFP460.
Infineon is still available from Farnell but it is already more expensive. IXYS can not get, only a few series but they are not suitable for SMPS.
I have found (at a acceptable price) only a low voltage Vds IXYS MOSFETs, for example IXTK82N25P but they are very robust and strong MOSFET and surely, my favorite Case - TO264 ;). Despite his not particularly outstanding parameters for audio applications, but it is extremely reliable and usable.
I've used them in several quasi-complementary amplifiers and they are really very good results.
But I feel a serious lack of P-channel IXYS MOSFET availability their country.
I believe many people here who have built SMPS, dare to accept that IXYS is better than the old IR IRFP-series.

TO-247

Hi

Are you working this SMPS recently? How does it work this time?

I'm really busy this days , so I don't ave enough time to doing some improvements on it. as I said before , I need a lots of money and also enough free-time.

Regards

TO-247

Hi !!

Hi guys..:02.47-tranquillity:
after a long time..because don't have enough time to do more researches..:(

MicrosiM , my last smps board have some problems which i listed some of them below and i wish i could do a better job next time -)

- input connector make some problems => change with tab connector
- input rectifier gets warm => change with 25A type at minimum + larger heatsink
- using higher rating fuse and its holder
- change the design with quasi-resonant type but without series coil , for having better operation
- low continuous output power = changing switching transistor with IGBTs , use EE55 core , change output diodes as well. my goal is about 1~1.5KW max.
- maybe using low profile components to get less height.
- 3 vertical mounted board ! => using one for all function
- changing OCP-SCP protection if its not gonna be very hard to design.
- output voltages goes higher like 75~90v and add more aux outs.
- if it's possible , change PCB routing for having less EMI and better performance.
- decrease the switching frequency to have less switching loss if it doesn't make any problem !

That coil is needed into resonant SMPS circuits in order to add more leakage inductance to the transformer primary. its same SMPS you have just made, only thing is that inductor, however.
Resonant can be done without the series inductor.

If you show me WAVE across your series capacitor with transformer will tell you more.

Wave WHILE SMPS is loaded at least 500W.

so , lots of work should i do...but for first step , i have some question , sorry for takes your time

1- can i use your excel file for calculation new transformer ? because i changed type of smps into QR type.

2- how can i learn more about half-bridge QR type smps ? i want to design one of them but without series coil..

Thanks MicrosiM for all helps you provide;)

Attachments

• Parts-1.jpg
    Parts-1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 600W.MK2.1.jpg
    600W.MK2.1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 294

TO-247

Ok...-)

maybe MicrosiM or other guys don't have time or something like that..

i started to collect some information about resonant type smps...for example PLX2 series of QSC...i think is a good choice..they are operating in Half-Bridge quasi resonant non regulation mode , am i right ?

so , i'm starting to calculate transformer with this Specs :

- Core = EE55 - N87
- Rated Flux around 1200G
- FSW = 70KHz
- Max DC = 45% (due to 3525 with Rd around 100Ohm)
- Using IGBTs with Vsat around 2.2~2.7 max
- Minimum DC input voltage = 270V
- Main output = +/-90V (8A Max)

i wish 70KHz is a good choice for resonant operation while QSC using about 98KHz.if my calculation is right , with Lr=5uH and Cr=1uF , we have Fr about 70Khz. so we need a transformer with leakage inductance(LI) about 5uH or by adding some L to primary LI.

also when i check PLX2 series , i found that they connect Pin3 of SG3525 to LM556 output , can anyone explain the reason ? or any effect to resonant freq ?

MicrosiM please Help me , i just give a few minutes of your time. i will calculate and do most things by myself. :(

Regards

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
To-247

Sorry for late replay,

Your calculations are just OK, when you reach the testing stage i will help you how to make sure that the SMPS is resonating or not.

Pin3 is to force the SG3525 to follow external SYNC. resonant SMPS works ONLY in fixed frequency window.

let me know if u need more help

regards

TO-247

Thanks MicrosiM for replay..:eek:

for the first step , i want to know what is your opinion about EE55 @ 70KHz for resonant at this power level (maybe up to 2Kw at max) ?
- also i want to use IXYS hiperfast IGBTs.i'm not sure about part number yet but they have Cies around 2500pF which i think can be drive by IR2110 , what you think ?
finally , from my older post :
1- can i use your excel file for calculation new transformer ? because i changed type of smps into QR type.

Thanks For all Helps ;)

MicrosiM

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks MicrosiM for replay..:eek:

for the first step , i want to know what is your opinion about EE55 @ 70KHz for resonant at this power level (maybe up to 2Kw at max) ?
- also i want to use IXYS hiperfast IGBTs.i'm not sure about part number yet but they have Cies around 2500pF which i think can be drive by IR2110 , what you think ?
finally , from my older post :

Thanks For all Helps ;)

EE55 @70Khz is a good choise.

2kw @ 70Khz wont be possible, U need 100KHz to reach that power level.

You can start with HTGT30N60A4D IGBTs

Regards

Sierra

Valve Lover!
To247

looks nice SMPS, can you share the PCB with us? since i cant find final version of the pcb here

i see you had some success?